Dr-Trace, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in General Ophthalmology

My left eyelid has a pulsating/throbbing sensation, like a

My left eyelid has a pulsating/throbbing sensation, like a vein pulsing. It is slightly painful, but more irritating. If feels like it is twitching, but it is not.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr-Trace replied 4 years ago.

Dr-Trace :

Hi I am Dr. Lewis and I would like to answer your question for you.

Dr-Trace :

Even though you say your eyelid is not twitching, it could be fasiculation. Fasiculation is a subtle twitching or irritation in the eyelid from stress, too much caffeine or lack of sleep. It is a completely benign condition but can be annoying. Reducing your stress, getting a good amount of sleep and cutting down caffeine is a good way to treat this.

Dr-Trace :

The other thing this could be is the beginnings of a chalazion or "stye". When one of the tear glands on the lids gets clogged, it can swell and be tender or irritation. Warm compresses and massage can help this problem resolve and incidentally can also help fasiculation.

Dr-Trace :

I hope this answers your question.

Dr-Trace :

Dr. T

I actually only drink water and milk- rarely juice. So I have limited sources of caffeine. I also recovered from post-concussion syndrome this past week - I have been feeling like myself for 2 days now. I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Stress is a possibility.

Thank you for your advice and let me know if that information changes anything.

Dr-Trace :

Post concussion syndrome would not cause fasiculation. Please know that if the fasiculation persists, you can be treated. Sometime of the newer treatments are mild muscle relaxants or botox.