Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I have recently received a direct blow to left eye which has

I have recently received a direct blow to left eye which has now resulted in black floaters in my field of vision. Plus my eye is particularly red in an area and hurts to blink or move the eye ball. There is no external injury mark.Please advice on the cause and cure.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

When did you have surgery?

Dr. James :

Can you describe where the incisions were made?

Customer:

Hi Doctor

Customer:

I received a blow which caused an injury. No surgery recently.

Dr. James :

When was the injury? What kind of object were you hit with?

Customer:
Customer:

By hand.

Customer:

It happened day before yesterday.

Dr. James :

With a blow to the eye, there is concern for bleeding inside the eye, especially since now you are seeing black floaters.

Dr. James :

There is also concern for a tear in the retina.

Dr. James :

You will need an eye exam by an ophthalmologist who can dilate your eyes and carefully look inside.

Customer:

Is there anything I can do before I visit a doctor? Any home remedy?

Dr. James :

The floaters should go away on their own. The reason for the visit is to ensure that there is no problem with the retina.

Dr. James :

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

Ok. Should I go immediately or wait for the redness/pain to subside.?

Dr. James :

I would advise you see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

Customer:

Ok I will do as you say.Thanks for the advice Doctor.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Dr. James :

you're welcome.

Customer:

sure

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon