Dr-Trace
Dr-Trace, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in General Ophthalmology

I have had an eye "condition" for two full years. It began

I have had an eye "condition" for two full years. It began with muscle twitches all around the right eyeball i.e. upper and lower lids, and outside edge of the skin at the corner of my eye. I could see the muscle spasms in my flesh jerking all over when I looked at my eye in a mirror. The next phase was that my eyes felt "sleepy" most of the time, and often felt like I had a grain of dust or sand under my upper lid, which was scratching my eyeball. I finally came to realize that this "feeling" was probably the muscle spasms. I felt like I needed to blink hard and then try to stretch the skin of my eyelids to alleviate the discomfort. These were the main symptoms for about 1 year.

Starting about a year ago, which was the second year of my eye "condition", I noticed that my vision was blurry a lot of the time, and that if I glanced downwards and them moved my eyes back and forth, it looked like there was a piece of veil that would drop down each time I moved my right eye to the outside. Both of my eyes are now blurry a good deal of each day and evening. And the worst thing is that even with new eyeglasses, I cannot sit and read my books and newspapers in the evenings. I love to read, and am alarmed that I may not be able to read if this goes on any longer.

I had an eye exam and new glasses about four months ago. My eye dr. says that the vitreous humor in my eyeball is deteriorating and is pulling away from the back of my retina. She said not to worry, and prescribed new lenses, which make the words in books larger, but do nothing to fix the condition so that I can see the words plainly. Sometimes I have a pulling or painful sensation for several seconds that I don't like.

I am at the end of my rope, so to speak. What type of eye specialist should I look for, and how can he help me??? I am 61 yr. old, and still have a lot of enjoyable reading and driving my car before me. And, to tell the truth, I am really scared of losing my eyesight.

Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated!

Marilyn Taylor
Arkansas City, KS
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr-Trace replied 2 years ago.

Dr-Trace :

Hi - I am Dr. Trace and I would like to be of help to you with your question. I am going to break it down into parts because it seems like you have a few things going on.

Dr-Trace :

First - I would like to address the twitching around your eyeball. Twitching around the eye is called "fasiculation" and it is usually caused by stress, too much caffeine or fatigue. Fatigue makes sense because you say that the next phase is that your eyes felt sleepy most of the time. You were rubbing them and stretching the skin to alleviate the discomfort.

Dr-Trace :

Fasiculation is a benign condition of muscular spasm. We sometimes treat intractable fasiculation with muscle relaxants but more recently, I have had great success treating this condition with Botox. It relaxes the muscle and stops the fasiculation for at least six months. After this, it usually does not come back.

Dr-Trace :

Ok - On to part two of your symptoms. About a year ago you noticed that your vision was blurry alot of the time and that you had a "veil" in front of your vision. Your eye doctor is correct. This is a movement of the vitreous humor away from the retina. When we are young, the vitreous is firm in the eye and solid. As we age, the vitreous softens (just like everything else) and shrinks in on itself. Unfortunately, when it shrinks, it starts to move around in the eye and the areas of interface (like where it was attached at the optic nerve) swirl into your central vision and make you blurry.

Dr-Trace :

This condition is usually short lived because as the vitreous turns more liquid, gravity pulls the interfering "floaters" out of your vision. Unfortunately, many patients in my practice grow impatient because the process can take months to years to go away. They ask if we can do something to make them disappear faster.

Dr-Trace :

The answer is no. Operating on an eye, especially near the retina is pretty dangerous. We only do retinal surgery as a last resort to save vision. The floaters are a pain, but they are not vision threatening.

Dr-Trace :

You are not going to lose your eyesight from this "posterior vitreous detachment".

Dr-Trace :

If you really want a second opinion, a retinal specialist can confirm these findings.

Dr-Trace :

This condition of vitreous detachment can also happen in your other eye. If you notice bright flashing lights, floaters or a shade across your vision, the other eye should be checked right away.

Dr-Trace :

When it first happens, there is a possibility of tearing the retina as it pulls away. Thus the retina should be checked immediately upon noticing symptoms and one month later if it happens in the other eye.

Dr-Trace :

Does this all make sense to you? And do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Customer:

During my eye exam, my eye doctor checked both of my eyes, and she said that the left eye was actually worse than the right eye. I can tell that my left eye is also blurry and also has fasiculation. The main difference is that I cannot "see" the floaters like I can with my right eye.

Dr-Trace :

That is not uncommon. From your eye doctor's perspective, the floaters and movement of the gel can look worse to her. But different angles and aspects of light can make the floaters look different from the inside looking out. You are better able to judge which eye seems worse.

Dr-Trace :

I think that if both your eyes are fasiculating, you should consider botox or a short term muscle relaxant. Ask your doc if she does these treatments. They are very simple and effective.

Customer:

I do feel better knowing that these symptoms will probably go away with time. Thank you so much Dr. Trace. This was worth more than the $58 requested. Have a wonderful and blessed evening. Marilyn

Dr-Trace :

Thank you too Marilyn. God Bless you as well. Dr. Trace

Customer:

Okay, I will check into it. I am glad to know that there are a few things that I can do to alleviate some of the stress of these conditions. Thanks again!

Experience: Board Certified in General Ophthalmology