Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

If I have a lazy eye, and astigmatism, is Lasik surgery an

If I have a lazy eye, and astigmatism, is Lasik surgery an option?

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

By lazy eye, do you mean an eye that drifts in or out, or do you mean amblyopia (an eye that has seen poorly ever since childhood)?

Customer:

I used to go cross eyed all the time as a kid. I wore a patch for a while when I was 2 yrs old, so it doesn't drift very much anymore. Does that answer your question?

Doctor DanB :

Thank you. Almost. Does that eye see as well as the other eye (with glasses or contact lenses on)?

Customer:

Very nearly, with contacts or glasses.

Customer:

I should also mention that I am slightly near sighted

Doctor DanB :

If they are essentially the same, and the eye doesn't drift anymore, then these things as well as astigmatism should likely not prevent you from having LASIK. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes! One last question though: would Lasik do anything for the lazy eye? Or would it just correct my vision, and my eye would still drift a little when I'm sleepy.

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately, while LASIK would correct the vision, it wouldn't do anything to correct the drifting of the eye--it would probably still drift as much as it does now.

Customer:

In that case, is it something you woud recommend? Or would it not be worth it?

Customer:

Perhaps also important to note: my eye doesn't drift unless I'm not wearing contacts or glasses. It only drifts when I'm trying to focus,

Doctor DanB :

Well, that's a good question. I would say if you're really motivated to get clearer vision and stay out of glasses or contacts, then it would be a good thing to consider. If you're not bothered by being in contacts or glasses, then I would say it sounds like a toss up. If you feel like the drifting is only happening because you're not having your corrective lenses on, then this may indeed help that. In my experience, though, that still may come back at some point in the future, even if you have LASIK now.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this topic?

Customer:

Yes, thank you! I should be all set.

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure.

please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!