Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have ferquent headaches, watery eyes, dizziness, tigthness

I have ferquent headaches, watery eyes, dizziness, tigthness in my jaw and i sm feeling like my ears are always blocked. Been to the doc and did a Ct Scan. i found that my frontal sinuses are blocked (falcine calcification). But the doctor (GP) said that not what is causing my headaches? Please help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Frequent headaches can occur in sinusitis, migraine or referred pain from elsewhere ( dental problem/cervical spondylitis/ocular disease/ear or nose problem / intracranial lesions such as aneurysm or space occupying lesion).The fact that your CT scan has revealed nothing more than frontal sinusitis( which is a good thing and excludes all other serious causes of headache) it looks like migraine is the next possible cause for the headache.Migraine can have different variants and it is not necessary for the headache to be unilateral or with an aura.There is a variant called vertibrobasilar migraine which has similar symptoms as yours. Treatment is in the form of analgesics such as Tab.Acetaminophen(paracetamol), 500 mg twice a day or one tablet SOS( only when there is pain).Since the scan shows blocked frontal sinuses, then it is better to do steam inhalation twice a day to relieve the block and ease the headache.

For more details you can go through this article-

Please let me know if you have additional questions in this regard.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been taking paracetamol or panadol my whole life it doesnt work. Doc has been giving me codeine to ease the headache. its not getting less but getting worst.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Looks like the headache is resistant to routine treatment! Another medicine which is often used in prophylaxis of migraine is Tab.Flunarizine, 10 mg at bedtime for one month( irrespective of presence or absence of headache it has to be continued for a month). If responding then continue for another month at 5 mg at bedtime. In the initial days of treatment a strong analgesic can be taken as and when the headache comes.

Certain medicines such as amitriptiline ( tricyclic anti-deprassant) have been used for their other actions in migraine prophylaxis. Betaxolol is another medicine which has been used for similar reasons.

I guess you need to consult your physician for proper choice of medicine which would suit you the best. I can understand how miserable it is to have a chronic headache which gets refractory and does not respond to routine medicines.Thankfully with an otherwise normal CT scan, the worry of having something very serious inside causing the headache is not there.