Dr-Trace
Dr-Trace, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in General Ophthalmology
66045090

Hit my head 2 days ago and today my eye is black and swollen

Hit my head 2 days ago and today my eye is black and swollen is it too late for cold pack to get the swelling down?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr-Trace replied 5 years ago.

Dr-Trace :

Hi I am Dr. Trace - Can you tell me a little more about the head trauma you sustained? Did you lose consciousness or suffer confusion or decreased mental status immediately afterwards?

Dr-Trace :

Can you also tell me where you hit your head? Was it near your eye that is black and swollen?

Dr-Trace :

OK - I can see you are away from your computer.

Dr-Trace :

I ask these questions because head trauma, even two days later, should be evaluated if there was any decrease in mental status, loss of consciousness or evidence of other neurologic deficit.

Dr-Trace :

Your question about the cold pack is easy to answer. The bruising - black and blue - will not go away from a cold pack, but swelling always responds to cold. Swelling is the result of inflammation. Cold ice packs cause the blood vessels to constrict. Because of this, less inflammatory factors can get to the area and the swelling goes down. So any time there is swelling, cold packs will help.

Dr-Trace :

Do you have any further questions for me?