Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Doc Rick, Im having a serious eye problem and this

Customer Question

Hi Doc Rick,

I'm having a serious eye problem and this has been with me for more than 5years.

The problem occurs anytime, but it doesn't run 24hrs, I work majorly on the PC and I feel that is the cause, I feel a terrible pain, like I've been starring at a weathering work for hours, sometimes I have some drop of water. I do sleep for upto 8hrs daily and I have tried some eye drop in the past.... Kindly assist me on what could be done.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Thanks for requesting me. So. As I understand it, when you have been working on the computer for an extended period of time you feel terrible pain in your eyes? Is this correct?

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me more about this pain? Does it feel like something is in your eyes? Deep, boring pain? An ache? etc? Is your vision affected at all?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I'm looking forward to your response so that we can continue to work on your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried to respond through the chat but all what I typed in the Text box just got flewn away. I feel aching, I mean a real aching pain and sometimes I have water when the pain is too much. sometimes when I have not stepped out of the house for upto 5/6 hours, the moment I step out maybe to take a walk or just want to get something down the road, It feel so bad and I feel so bad.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
We can continue to work on your question here....no need to post it again and have to leave another deposit :-)

Thanks for that extra information. There are a couple of things that can cause the aching and feeling like you are stressing your eyes after long periods of working on the computer. The most common is a need for glasses, which can be easily checked by an ophthalmologist during a complete eye exam. The other thing that it might be is a problem with dry eyes (although this would be less likely in someone your age), allergies (it's getting to be that time of year) and blepharitis (this is very, very common). Here is a handout that discusses all these issues and, remember they may not all apply to you right now, a simple home treatment you can do to help:

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This looks like a copy paste from one of the Questions been asked from another customer as I have read that before and I noticed a lot if same things
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
It is actually a handout I wrote that, you are correct, I give to a number of people who I think may be suffering from a similar condition or could benefit from lid scrubs/warm soaks/natural tears and OTC allergy meds.

I would get finger cramps if I re-typed it all the time :-)

I don't think that herbal tea leaves are the solution to your difficulties but the above home treatment may help. If not then, of course, a complete eye exam is indicated.

Since you have already read this handout, is there anything else you would like to ask me or anything you would like to know in more detail?