Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Two nights ago I woke suddenly from a deep sleep (Ambien induced)

Two nights ago I woke suddenly from a deep sleep (Ambien induced) and while stumbling toward the toilet I bumped the left side of my forehead at the hair line. I crashed back into bed and did not wake again until about three hours later at which time I applied ice. The following day was unremarkable except for slight swelling and a small abrasion on the forhead.
Today (two days later) I now have a growing black eye and more swelling at the abrasion site,
and slight swelling above the middle of my eyes. What should I do??

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual for a deep bruise to take a bit to show on the surface so, as far as this and the small amount of swelling you are experiencing -- as long as you are not having any other symptoms -- you should be OK.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not, however, clear on what happened after you bumped your head. Do you think that you hit your head really hard, perhaps hard enough to cause you be become unconscious or do you feel that you just went back to bed and fell naturally asleep?

Dr. Rick :

Given your age it may be the better part of valor to visit with your primary care MD just to make sure that nothing else is going on secondary to bumping your head.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any thing, treatment wise I should do?
You are already doing the best thing: Apply ice. Nothing else should need to be done as long as there is not any redness, pain etc at the abrasion site that might suggest that the skin is infected.