Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have just completed a visit the Dr. Josef Gurian of the ENT

I have just completed a visit the Dr. Josef Gurian of the ENT Specialists of Northern Virginia regarding my chronic right eye pain. He said I needed to consult a Pain Management Specialist. I checked online and it appears Pain Management Specialists seem mostly to deal with back and joint pain and the like. I would appreciate some names perhaps specializing in ophthalmology Pain Management. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There is really no sub specialty in Ophthalmology that deals with pain

Dr. Rick :

Have you had an examination by an Ophthalmologist to see if everything is OK with your actual eyeball and ocular health?

Dr. Rick :

My screen shows that you are in the chat room....are you there?

Customer:

No, but I have one scheduled for June. What specific things would he look for? Tnx

Dr. Rick :

Well, there are a number of issue that can cause pain in the eye.......and the vast majority of them would be able to be diagnosed during a complete eye exam. If you are in a lot of pain it seems to me that June is a long time to wait.....

Customer:

Thanks. I agree and I'll try to make an earlier appointment.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That sounds like a good idea. It just makes sense to have your eyes checked out before seeking pain management treatment. Also, just to get back to your original question, a pain management physician would be the correct person to consult with even though your pain is around your eye and not in your back etc. They are the true experts on the various drugs, specialized nerve blocks and therapies for pain...no matter when it might be.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you have stepped away from your computer. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.