Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had watery eyes for the past three days, they water

I have had watery eyes for the past three days, they water constantly as if I am crying. When I awoke this morning they were crusted over and my lids were swollen. I recently (three weeks ago) had conjunctivitis and used vigamox and the condition had cleared up literally overnight. I am currently using vigamox but have had little relief... can you offer any advise?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Vigamox is an excellent antibiotic that kills most bacteria that can cause conjunctivitis. That being said, this excellent antibiotic doesn't do a darn thing to a virus.....

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

And, from what you have told me, it seems like you have a viral conjunctivitis. It is currently going around all over the place.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have viral conjuctivitis. As this is a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in a week or so.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

My son had conjunctivitis just last week but it cleared up rather quickly

Dr. Rick :

Yup....first the kids get it...then the moms.....

Dr. Rick :

Save the vigamox for another day.....it is not needed here...

Customer:

he was given another type of antibiotic.. not as strong

Customer:

is there anything I can do about the constant tearing?

Dr. Rick :

Was he seen by an ophthalmologist? Most eye MDs don't make the mistake of giving antibiotic drops for viral conjunctivitis....but almost every GP and peds MD does. :o)

Dr. Rick :

cold compresses and sooth your eye with artificial tears.

Customer:

no, he was seen by his pediatrician

Dr. Rick :

Hence the antibiotic drops for a virus.

Customer:

his cleared up in less than two days... is that consistent with a viral infection?

Dr. Rick :

Your infection will run it's course but, alas, you are gonna be miserable for awhile....

Customer:

at what point should I seek medical attention?

Dr. Rick :

It is possible but not usual...depends how his immune system reacted to the virus.

Dr. Rick :

If your vision gets bad, you have terrible or it gets much worse on one day then it way the day before....and for all the lawyers out there (Boo. Hiss) anytime you are concerned.

Dr. Rick :

But, I think you will be OK in the long run. Viral conjunctivitis is no fun. I caught it from my middle daughter when she was in the 4th grade --and I still hold it against her 16 years later lol!

Customer:

lol... I'll remember that:) Thanks for your time.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Glad I could help. Have a good night.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.