Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My mother is 87 years and has been recently had a CT scan because

My mother is 87 years and has been recently had a CT scan because of a dull
headache she has been having for the last 4-6 weeks. The CT scan report is as follows:
No intracranial abnormality. 12 mm intraconal left orbital lesion consistent with
hemangioma, venouse varix, less likely lymphoma. There is an enhancing intraconal mass in the left orbit, lateral and superior to the optic nerve. The lesion measures
9 x 12 mm. Consider unenhanced and
enhanced orbital MRI for further evaluation. My question, if she decides to have
the MRI and surgery is recommended, what does this entail? Since she is 87 years old
with a birthday next month, would this be risky surgery at her age and body weight
of 103 pounds? If she doesn't have the surgery, what might happen to her?
Her doctor said that she could have possibly had this growth since birth. Will her eye have to be removed to do the surgery or is it done through the nose? Thank you
for your expertise!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hello Dr. Rick:

Customer:

I am trusting you with this information as an expert. My mother is 87 years old and has recently had a CT scan done at our local hospital.

Customer:

The results are as follows: Enhancing intraconal mass in the left orbit, lateral and superior to the optic nerve. The lesion measure

Customer:

9 x 12 mm. Her doctor is suggesting an MRI. However, my mother is 87 years ( will be 88 next month) her general health is good

Customer:

for her age, but she only weight 103 pounds. My concern is what is involved if she has to have surgery to remove the mass. The doctor that

Dr. Rick :

Yes, I reviewed your post. Normally, if her vision is OK you might elect not to do any surgery and just let things be.

Dr. Rick :

Depending on where the mass is located in the muscle cone the surgeon may elect to go through the zygomatic arch (side of the eye, under the temple) to gain access to the orbit. These things are very vascular and can turn into a blood mess when you try to cut them out. The surgeon is right....it may have been there her whole life and have nothing to do with her headache...

Dr. Rick :

Of course, your ophthalmologist and/or orbital surgeon is the best person to advise you on what to do, but from what you have posted, if there is no fear that it is a cancer, her vision and ocular movements are not involved it sounds like something that should be left alone.

Dr. Rick :

Has someone told you that it needs to be operated on?

Customer:

No, the next step would be the MRI, which is costly and might not do any good if she is unable to have the surgery.

Dr. Rick :

do they want to have an MRI so as to better map the lesion for surgery?

Customer:

I was told that the MRI would be necessary to see if an operation is necessary or to just keep an eye on it.

Customer:

Thank you for quick response. Mom and I both agree with you. We think it would be better left alone.

Dr. Rick :

Well, I agree...and MRI would show the lesion better then the cat scan. And getting a good look at it now and in, say, 6 months would be a good idea. She should also have a complete eye exam if that would not be too stressful for her.

Dr. Rick :

Ya...leave it alone but document it and check it at least one more time just to make sure....

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope things turn out well for your mom.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.