Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello.. For the past several months, I have been experiencing

Hello.. For the past several months, I have been experiencing blurry vision several times per day. One day, I looked in the mirror when experiencing the blurry vision and realized that the blurry vision occures when my right eye turns inward. I went to Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and was thoroughly evaluated. The right eye is unable to look up all the way or down. There seems to be a restriction of the eye. They were not able to figure out what's going on with my eye. When I look in the mirror I also notice that the right eye looks smaller that the left eye as it doesn't open all the way. Please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute can't figure what is going on with your eye then, I have to say, that there is no one in the world who will be able to figure it out -- including me. BPEI is one of the top ophthalmology institutes in the world.

Dr. Rick :

At BPEI they have super sub-specialists available in every field of ophthalmology as well as experts nearby to help with other specialties. Are you sure that they have just given up trying to figure out what is going on with your eye?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, the MRI was completed since I was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease in 1989 and had to pituitary surgeries to remove a microadenoma. I had radiation of the pituitary gland in 1993 and to date I am clear from the disease. Tha doctors at BPEI are dumb-founded with my case. They first thought they can correct the eye from being inward by cutting and rea-aligning the eye, however, the eye is aligned. Then they figured the eye problem may be caused by the radiation. Since the radiation traveled between the optic nerves, the think that the optic nerve may have been affected. However, the radiation was in 1993. They want to see me in six months for follow-up. I feel defeated the this problem really has dampered my self-esteem.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
It is never fun, as a patient, be the one to stump the experts :(

I can understand the history of radiation causing issues with your ocular motility, even decades after the radiation therapy was concluded. This being said, damage to the optic nerve would only be expected to impact your field of vision and, possibly, your visual acuity....not your ocular motility or where your globe sits in your orbit (sunk in etc)

I do want to stress to you that you are in excellent hand at BPEI. If I lived in Florida and me or a member of my family had an eye problem that is where I would go. If the source of your symptoms can be figured out, they will do it....even if it takes 'em some time.

Don't let this get you down....hopefully things will get better and anyone who doesn't think you are worth being around because of your eye issues you don't need in your life anyway ;-)

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

If you have a chance, drop me a note in 6 months ( you can do this at no charge) and let me know how things are going. Heck, who knows? You might make it into the Ophthalmology textbooks :)