Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a eye infection and went to emergency. The doctor said

I have a eye infection and went to emergency. The doctor said I have cellulitis. She put me on antibiotic drops and oral antibiotics. Today my neck on the one side is pretty soar. should I be concerned. My eye is feeling and looking much better today.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What did the emergency doc give you for the eye infection? Have you done anything that may have hurt your neck? Is your vision affected or do you have any other symptoms?

Customer:

She gave me PMS-Tobramycin Opth 0.3% 2 drops 4x a day and APO - Clindamycin 150mg 3 capsules 3x a day. I don't think I did anything to hurt my neck. I've had cold flue like symptons all week. Not sinus, but feels like it is all around my throat. I don't think any fever .Vision is fine.

Dr. Rick :

with the history of recent cold/flu symptoms it sounds like you most likely have a viral eye infection and, if this is the case, the drops and the antibiotic pills are a waste of time. I

Dr. Rick :

I don't do heart attacks and Emergency doc's shouldn't do eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Also, I don't think your problem with your eyes, or the medicine the Emergency doc gave you is in anyway related to your neck.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a little blurb on viral conjunctivitis:

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have viral conjuctivitis. As this is a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in a week or so.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Oops....I had the accept button turned off so you wouldn't pay me too soon :) Now it is on if you really want to push it ;-)

Customer:

Yes, it does, I felt it was related to the cold/flu I have had for a couple weeks. My eye was very a painful to the touch, really swelled up, itchy and red, all around the eye and cheek area. Full of puss. The medication has taken alot of the swelling down and it is not as red as yesterday at this time. Still itchy and burning.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Since things are getting better on the Rx the ER doc gave you, it won't hurt to continue it....even if your primary issue was viral in nature it is possible that you had a secondary bacterial infection.

Dr. Rick :

For the itching/burning you can use cold compresses and, if you would like, OTC allergy pills (not sure of the brand name on your side of the border)

Customer:

OK, I'll continue will the meds, should they clear up my throat and flue like symptons too? I won't worry about my neck unless it is worse tomorrow. I have been putting cold compresses on it , and it does really help. You have been a great help. thankyou, thankyou

Dr. Rick :

Hard to tell. If those other issues are due to a virus they will have no effect on them...but, remember, virus issues resolve on their own anyway.....

Dr. Rick :

It's my pleasure to help my Northern Friends, eh?

Dr. Rick :

:o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.