Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I suffer from myopia. My right-eyes power is -3.50, and my left-eyes power is

I suffer from myopia. My right-eye's power is -3.50, and my left-eye's power is -3,00 with astigmatism -1.5 x 180. I wanted to do Lasek surgery, but doctors told me it is not possible to do it because I have Curvature of the cornea which might be a symptom of Keratoconus. They suggested me to do PRK instead, but it would be better if I re-check after one or two years.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If they expect that you have findings on corneal topography that make them worry about keratoconus I wouldn't even suggest PRK as an option. There is nothing in your current Rx that suggests possible keratoconus, but that is not unusual as corneal topography is a much more sensitive indicator of problems.

Dr. Rick :

It would probably be a good idea to obtain copies of your medical records, including color copies of your topography and any other testing the lasik surgeon did and then consult with a cornea specialist for a second opinion. That way you will have a better idea of what is going on and what, if anything you need to do in the future.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Oh....hi. I was just finishing up your question. Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

JACUSTOMER-no8homcg- :

Hi, Thanks doctor for your reply. I have from the results that K Auto for the eyes as follows:

JACUSTOMER-no8homcg- :

K1: 47.50 x 170, K2: 48.50 x 80

JACUSTOMER-no8homcg- :

For the second eye: K1: 47.50 x 5, and K2 is 49.00 x 95

Dr. Rick :

those are your central K readings.....Keratoconus, especially early or "form Fruste" (not sure if I spelled that right ;) shows up in the periphery first, usually inferiotemporal. Corneal topo maps are the best way to pick this up.

JACUSTOMER-no8homcg- :

I have been told that the curvature of the cornea might be because of that during my childhood, my eyes were allergic and I was itching them a lot. Currently, I am suffering from the itching again, and I am trying not to do so because I heard that it may be dangerous to the cornea which may lead to Keratoconus! I think going to cornea specialist is the best solution before moving to lasek.

Dr. Rick :

There was a paper many years ago that kinda linked atopy (itching, allergies, rubbing the eyes) to a risk of keratoconus but It isn't that great of a correlation such that I would worry about rubbing your eye and giving yourself this condition. Here is the actual article:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1723585/

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you should see an ophthalmologist, possibly a cornea specialist, and see if there is something you can do to resolve the itching problem.

JACUSTOMER-no8homcg- :

I think that it is better to go and check again with ophthalmologist. I wish I can chat with you more to gain more knowledge and learn more from you. Thanks a lot for your time and advice.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I'm here if you ever want to chat more.....

Dr. Rick :

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.