Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I suffer from myopia. My right-eyes power is -3.50, and my left-eyes power is

I suffer from myopia. My right-eye's power is -3.50, and my left-eye's power is -3,00 with astigmatism -1.5 x 180. I wanted to do Lasek surgery, but doctors told me it is not possible to do it because I have Curvature of the cornea which might be a symptom of Keratoconus. They suggested me to do PRK instead, but it would be better if I re-check after one or two years.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If they expect that you have findings on corneal topography that make them worry about keratoconus I wouldn't even suggest PRK as an option. There is nothing in your current Rx that suggests possible keratoconus, but that is not unusual as corneal topography is a much more sensitive indicator of problems.

Dr. Rick :

It would probably be a good idea to obtain copies of your medical records, including color copies of your topography and any other testing the lasik surgeon did and then consult with a cornea specialist for a second opinion. That way you will have a better idea of what is going on and what, if anything you need to do in the future.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Oh....hi. I was just finishing up your question. Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer :

Hi, Thanks doctor for your reply. I have from the results that K Auto for the eyes as follows:

Customer :

K1: 47.50 x 170, K2: 48.50 x 80

Customer :

For the second eye: K1: 47.50 x 5, and K2 is 49.00 x 95

Dr. Rick :

those are your central K readings.....Keratoconus, especially early or "form Fruste" (not sure if I spelled that right ;) shows up in the periphery first, usually inferiotemporal. Corneal topo maps are the best way to pick this up.

Customer :

I have been told that the curvature of the cornea might be because of that during my childhood, my eyes were allergic and I was itching them a lot. Currently, I am suffering from the itching again, and I am trying not to do so because I heard that it may be dangerous to the cornea which may lead to Keratoconus! I think going to cornea specialist is the best solution before moving to lasek.

Dr. Rick :

There was a paper many years ago that kinda linked atopy (itching, allergies, rubbing the eyes) to a risk of keratoconus but It isn't that great of a correlation such that I would worry about rubbing your eye and giving yourself this condition. Here is the actual article:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1723585/

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you should see an ophthalmologist, possibly a cornea specialist, and see if there is something you can do to resolve the itching problem.

Customer :

I think that it is better to go and check again with ophthalmologist. I wish I can chat with you more to gain more knowledge and learn more from you. Thanks a lot for your time and advice.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I'm here if you ever want to chat more.....

Dr. Rick :

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest