Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I am 48 and healthy i woke up with what looks like a burst blood vessel in my right eye.

I have had this on occasion and usually goes away in a day or so but this one is spreading and looks worse after 2 days It does not hurt and I have no other symptoms/
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Dr. James :

You likely have a subconjunctival hemorrhage. Sometimes it can spread and look worse after it first occurs.

This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin overlying the blood. The bleeding is usually the result of minor trauma such as coughing or eye rubbing.
Though its appearance is alarming and appears dangerous, it is generally harmless.
Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. You should contact your ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.
Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.