Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My son has bumps under his lower eyelid that dont seem to

My son has bumps under his lower eyelid that don't seem to be going away. They look better than they have but once before already they have been almost gone and come back. He has been on eyedrop antibiotics for 6 days. The bumps are not styes. I am not sure what they could be past that. The white of his eye is not red, nor is it weeping, tearing or leaking. He has no fever or other symptom of sickness. I would appreciate any assistance in trying to figure out what could be causing this problem.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It would help to know if these bumps are on the inner side of the eyelid or on the skin side , visible from outside.

Also was he prescribed antibiotic eye drops by an ophthalmologist? What is the name of the eye drop and for how long has he been using it now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Desai,The bumps are on the inner side of his bottom eyelid. He was prescribed the antibiotic by his pcp, but she did not see him prior to the prescription. She said to try it and if it didn't work to take him to an eye doctor. This has been going on for a few weeks now. He has been on the antibiotic for 6 days. The antibiotic is ofloxacin.
Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Bumps on the inner side of the lid are most likely to be due to follicles( kind of aggregation of lymphocytes in the conjunctiva). Actually follicles are common in children even in the absence of any eye disease. Otherwise follicles are most commonly seen in acute follicular conjunctivitis and viral conjunctivitis. Since your son does not have any redness or watering from his eyes and follicles are the only findings, there is nothing much to be concerned about.Antibiotic eye drops are most most likely to have no effect on the follicles.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Follicles appear like this - follow the link to view the image

http://cms.revoptom.com/publish/images/2_13678_1.gif
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Desai,

They do look like that but his inner eyelid is much redder, and at a few different points his whole eyelid area, top and bottom, has been swollen to where his vision had to be obscured. If it is indeed follicles, what can I do to get rid of it, or at least get rid of the swelling and keep it gone?

If there is associated redness too, then it is most likely to be acute follicular conjunctivitis( adenoviral). It is very often self limiting and can take 1-3 weeks to disappear.It does not require any specific treatment but you can continue the antibiotic eye drops just so as to prevent any superadded bacterial infection.To reduce the swelling of the lids you can give him syrup Paracetamol 125 mg( 5 ml twice a day for 3 days) as it will help to reduce the swelling( even if there is no fever).