Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I woke up today with crust on the eyelashes, crusting shut

I woke up today with crust on the eyelashes, crusting shut the eye. The eye is very red and sting itches. This didn't happen gradually it happened overnight and I remember the afternoon before having scratched my eye carelessly and felt that something occurred. I happen to have "triple opthalmic eye ointment" in the cupboard and am applying it 3 times a day. Unfortunately, I am without a car until Thursday. Is is dangerous to wait that long to see a doctor? Can pink eye happen overnight?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Yes. Pink eye can happen overnight. I suggest you use artificial tears and cold compresses.

Dr. Rick :

If you want to use the triple antiboitic eye cream that is ok but just remember pink eye is from a virus and antibiotics only treat bacteria. Pink eye lasts about 10 days or so.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I see you have entered the chat room. Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer:

I appreciate the rapid response. Are my eyes in danger if I have to wait 5 days to see a doctor?

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me....no.

Customer:

thx bye