Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a 39 y.o. asian/african american male. I know that with

I am a 39 y.o. asian/african american male. I know that with age, under eye bags will appear. However, until 4 months ago, I did not have any under eye bags whatsoever. It seems that I woke up one morning and there they were and never disappeared again. y colleagues kept asking me why all of a sudden I looked so tired and I have no idea why--I am not stressed out, not tired.

I tried getting more rest, drinking water, taking vitamins, putting all sorts of under eye lotions etc. I don't mind getting bags because of aging, but I am worried that they just appeared out of nowhere. Is it normal for things like that to appear out of nowhere or is it a symptom of something else?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

It is common for the bags under your eyes to suddenly get to the point that they become more noticeable. And, like many other things in life, once you notice something, be it a defect on the wall in your house or something on your body you pay more attention to it.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign condition.

With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.

The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office. This is where I do the majority of cases myself.

Dr. Rick :

As may have already learned, the reason there are so many creams and lotions saying that they can fix this issue is that none of them really work.....

Dr. Rick :

I doubt that this a symptom of something serious at this point, but the best way to be sure is to have a complete examination by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Ok, that makes sense! Especially the cream and lotion thing.....But I will make an appointment sometime to make sure. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I know it is not some kidney thing (someone told me that it could be kidney related so I became worried)

Dr. Rick :

If it was a kidney thing I'd expect you to have a lot more symptoms......I think you'll be ok :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Thank you! I feel much better about it!