Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i have been diagnosed with viral pink eye & given zirgan &

i have been diagnosed with viral pink eye & given zirgan & zylet with no relief.
as a matter off fact it is getting worse because when i put drops in my eyes tear so much they wash away the medicine.
i need help what can i do

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you being treated by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am here
First of all, Ganciclovir (zirgan) is an antiviral medicine used for serious viral eye infections such as herpes. I would never use in the treatment of pink eye. Zylet is a steroid and antibiotic combination. Since pink eye is caused by a virus there is no reason to use an antibiotic, which only affects bacteria. The steroids in zylet, while it may make you feel better in the short run have tons of serious side effects and, once again, I wouldn't use them in routine pink eye.

So. Stop using those medicines. What can you do? Oops....I see you have just posted something. Let me send this so I read what you posted...
It sounds like you have viral conjunctivitis. As this is a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in a week or so.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

This is all you need to do for pink eye. It will run it's course in 10 days or so and, unfortunately, you are gonna be miserable until then.

Also, should you need to see an eye doctor again, I would not go back to the one who told you to use Zirgan and zylet for pink eye.....

Does this make sense to you? I'm still here awaiting your reply should you like to discuss this issue more.....