Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Sudden blurry vision in left eye

My husband has had sudden blurred vision in his left eye. It has been like this now for 72 hours. no headache, no pain..... what is this?? Does this require er treatment?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me a little bit more about his vision? Is it mostly his central vision that is affected? Or?

JACUSTOMER-tdxwbr45- :
He has described it as a very blurry eye. He states it's not just central but side vision on both sides. He states that it is every where he looks; up down side to side. He is holding his left eye closed just so he can focus with the right. He says he sees floaters but only sometimes. No symptoms of a migraine, no headache at all. Of course as a surgical tech myself, I seem to be more worried about it than he is....

I have thought of all kinds of things from high blood pressure to a tumor pressing on the optic nerve

Dr. Rick :
Does he have double vision?
What does he mean by blurry vision. When he closes his right eye, can he see in the distance? recognize faces? Read with his glasses on?

JACUSTOMER-tdxwbr45- :
Clogged arteries to a first sign of diabetes. No double vision but he likes to read the computer in the dark

He does not wear glasses or contacts. He can see fine with the right eye, but the left eye interferes he says things look better thru the right eye if he just closes the left eye all together

Dr. Rick :
Well, with a global, monocular decrease in vision that has persisted for 72 hours now he should be seen by an ophthalmologist today.

It almost sounds like he is having double vision rather then blurry vision in his left eye....

JACUSTOMER-tdxwbr45- :
And if he can't get in, ER? Or is that warranted? It is scary to me
He has not said that he sees 2 of anything

Dr. Rick :
ER Physicians are not really equipped to diagnose eye issues. I'm sure you can find an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist) who will squeeze him in today.

JACUSTOMER-tdxwbr45- :
It just came on so suddenly
So you are not thinking the worst like I was... No brain issue?? not likely?

Dr. Rick :
Lots of eye issues come on without any pain and suddenly. I guess by the way we are talking your husband is not near you right now so we can quiz him more about his vision....

In any event you should get him in for a complete exam ASAP. Most eye issues are better dealt with sooner rather then later.

JACUSTOMER-tdxwbr45- :
No, he's a man... No time for a doc.... I will make him find the time. Believe me I have quizzed him

Dr. Rick :
Very much doubt it is a brain tumor. If people had brain tumors as often as they thought that they did we would need thousands of more neurosurgeons in the world lol!

JACUSTOMER-tdxwbr45- :
No offense doc... But you do know how men are about doctors.

Dr. Rick :
He could loose his drivers license if his vision get bad enough...and how would he be able to spy on folks then?

JACUSTOMER-tdxwbr45- :
Maybe that will scare him to the doc
OK I will work on setting him up for an appointment and then drag him there. Thanks so much for your help

Dr. Rick :
My of luck dragging him around :)

JACUSTOMER-tdxwbr45- :
Are you an eye doctor?

Dr. Rick :
I am a retina surgeon.....a sub specialist ophthalmologist.

JACUSTOMER-tdxwbr45- :
Great.. Very helpful. Thanks again!

Dr. Rick :
My pleasure. bye.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

I look forward to your reply so that we can continue to work on your husbands blurry vision problem.