Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

what are the new surgeries for correcting karitikones?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
The chat system froze up so I switched to the Q&A system...which works better since you are offline right now anyway.

What you have been told is correct: There comes a time when corneal transplant (PK) is the best treatment for keratoconus. Actually, the success rate of PK is very high in patients with this condition.

As to other approved treatment options, there a a couple of them. One is the insertion of bands within the "meat" (stroma) of your cornea. This is called intacs corneal implant and can give better vision by reshaping your cornea. These implants can also be removed if needed.

Here is a very good webpage on this treatment:

Another option is called collagen crosslinking. It is currently under clinical trial in the USA and is being used clinically in other parts of the world. Here is information on the US study and the physicians involved:

Other treatment options, although they are not used often anymore, is specialized PRK laser surgery and implantation of a "contact lens" inside your eye.

Here is a link to a webpage of a clinic in India that does collagen crosslinking. They have a very nice description of how this treatment works:

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.