Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I wear eye brow make up and I also wear contacts. Should the

Customer Question

I wear eye brow make up and I also wear contacts. Should the makeup on my eye brow cause irriation to my contacts? It feels like there is some pressure on the upper part of my eye where the makeup is.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Eye brow makeup should not come in the way of contact lens wear. If you feel pressure sensation in the upper part of the eye, then it is better to get the eye examined in detail along with recording of the intraocular pressure(IOP). If it is found to be within normal limits( within 20mm of hg) then it could be possibly due to sinusitis ( inflammation of the sinuses, the eye is surrounded by 4 sinuses and their inflammation can cause pressure symptoms on the eye). To rule out sinusitis you can consult your GP.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Would like 2nd oppinion
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I am also an ophthalmologist and will be happy to review your question and Dr. Desai's advice for you. I have to say upfront, however, that in my experience, Dr. Desai gives excellent eye advice and it is clear to me that she is not only very well trained but an excellent clinician.

I do not think that eyebrow makeup would impact contact lens use since it really should not be getting into your eye and, even it a small amount were to get in your eye, all most all makeup is tested so as not to damage the eyes.

If your vision is not affected, your eye is not red or irritated, you don't have any nausea etc, I would agree with Dr. Desai -- the most likely source of your irritation would be your sinuses. As you might already know your eyeballs are surrounded by sinus cavities and pain from them is often referred to the facial/eye area.

I suggest you try some cold compresses to affected area and if things don't improve you should have a complete examination by an ophthalmologist and, if this is normal, your primary care MD.

At this point I do not believe you need to discontinue using either your contacts or your brow makeup. Although my wife tells me that MAC brand makeup works very well for her since she is sensitive to makeup....perhaps you might want to try that brand.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest