Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

What could cause loss of periphial vision in one eye with sensitivity

What could cause loss of periphial vision in one eye with sensitivity to light, aswell as seeing prism like spots
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. How long has this been going on? Did you cover the eye to see if that loss of peripheral vision went away?

Customer:

its been going on for about a month. we've seen eye doctors as well as a specialist

Doctor DanB :

What kind of specialist? A retina specialist?

Customer:

yes. and they've done vision tests, and m.r.i, pressure tests and perifial tests but still couldnt find anything

Customer:

its only in one eye too

Doctor DanB :

This constellation of symptoms could be caused by inflammation inside the eye, called uveitis, signs of which are usually evident on an exam by any ophthalmologist. Also, swelling or inflammation of the optic nerve can cause these symptoms as well, but again, this would also be evident to an ophthalmologist. Are these symptoms constant?

Customer:

yes they are. and its more sensitive when he's outside or in bright light.

Doctor DanB :

Has he seen a neuro-ophthalmologist or neurologist?

Customer:

he had an m.r.i done and they couldn't find anything abnormal

Doctor DanB :

Has he seen a neurologist or neuro-ophthalmologist?

Customer:

no, just the specialist and the eye doctors at a hospital

Doctor DanB :

Well, it sounds as though there have been good evaluations of his symptoms and it sounds like they have looked in all the right places. Because he has had evaluations done by specialists alike, I think it's probably time he more sophisticated testing and a thorough evaluation by a neuro-ophthalmologist, who is a hybrid ophthalmologist and neurologist--these are the sub-specialists who see the very most difficult, most perplexing neurologic and/or ophthalmic cases that stump many other doctors. He may need tests such as an ERG to help determine whether this is a brain problem, a retina problem, or an optic nerve problem. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry but I have to step away from my computer for a few minutes. I promise I'll back back in a few to finish with your questions.

Customer:

It makes sense, yet at the same time we are ready for answers rather than hearing we still dont know what it is but come back in a week so we can do the same tests over and hear the same things over and over again.

Doctor DanB :

I'm back. Sorry. I'll read your response.

Customer:

wouldnt the retina specialist have been able to determine some kind of problem with the eye?

Doctor DanB :

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be. I have worked on some very difficult and perplexing patients' problems as this seems to be and I know it is a very painstaking process to come to some answers sometimes. Unfortunately, though, sometimes we don't ever find out what the problem is because the problem is more complex than what medical science currently knows. It would seem as though the retina specialist would know what kind of problem is causing this, but unfortunately the retina, brain, and optic nerve are all intimately tied together in symptoms such as these and the retina can often times appear totally normal, despite these symptoms. In these instances, this is where the neuro-ophthalmologist can be quite helpful.

Customer:

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated. I guess the next step is talking him into going to the neuro-ophthalmologist.

Doctor DanB :

I think that's the wisest course of action and the one which is most likely to yield some fruit. Good luck to you. I wish you both well.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.