Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

RA - IM

Customer Question

I AM LOOKING FOR CURE FOR CLOUDY LEFT EYE.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--can you tell me exactly what's wrong with your eye?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ABOUT 10 MONTHSBEFORE, I WENT TO MY FAMILY DOCTOR FOR GENERAL CHECK UP. HE ADVICED ME TO GO TO EYE DOCTOR TO GET MY EYES CHECKED AS I DID NOT GET MY EYES CHECKED BY AN EYE DOCTOR FOR A LONFG TIME. AT THAT TIME, APPARANTLY I DID NOT HAVE ANY EYE PROBLEMS. I WENT TO EYE DOCTOR AND SHE FOUND HIGH PRESSURE IN BOTH BOTH EYES DUE GLAUCOMA ATTACK. INITIALLY, SHE PRESCRIBED ONE EYE DROP AND THEN TWO EYE DROPS TO DROP IN BOTH EYES TO REDUCE PRESSURE. PRESSURE REDUCED TO NORMAL IN BOTH EYES BUT CLOUDINESS DEVELOPED IN MY LEFT EYE. WITH RIGHT EYE CLOSED, ICAN NOT SEE WITH CLOUDY LEFT EYE. SHE REFERRED ME TO EYE GLAUCOMA SPECIALIST. HE SAYS, CLOUDINESS IN LEFT EYE IS DUE TO NERVE DAMAGE AND WILL NOT GO AWAY. MY RIGHT EYE IS NORMAL BUT ALMOST I LOST VISION WITH MY CLOUDY LEFT EYE.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--let me opt out and find a more qualified expert for your problem. Please wait until he arrives and don't post anything else on this page.
Expert:  blockmomnc replied 2 years ago.

Glaucoma is an eye disease marked by abnormally high pressure in your eye. This pressure is commonly caused by a build up of aqueous fluid because of an obstruction to your eyeballs drainage.

Sustained or sudden pressure within your eyeball causes damage to your optic nerve. Any disturbance of your optic nerve leads to diminished sight and blindness.

Glaucoma eye disease is broken into various types with varying symptoms. The most common being primary open-angle glaucoma, followed by acute angle-closure glaucoma.

Primary open-angle glaucoma slowly progresses with very little noticeable symptoms. As this form of glaucoma begins to cause optic nerve damage you’ll likely experience: low vision, loss gradual peripheral vision, loss tunnel vision in advanced stage

Acute angle-closure glaucoma is a medical emergency. And if any form of glaucoma is left untreated, this eye disease will progress into blindness.

Glaucoma isn’t curable. And the damage that’s already been done can’t be reversed. However, any future peripheral, tunnel or total vision loss can be allayed with treatment.

Regular eye examines that measure your eyeball pressure is key to early diagnosis and treatment in order to minimize glaucoma’s vision loss.

And don’t put off having an exam until you lose your peripheral to this tunnel vision

causing eye pressure disease. I hope that helps a little, I am no specialist in eyes, but have taken care of many in the ED. Followup with the specialist is imperative and doing the treatments that they prescribe is also a must. Good luck to you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WHAT YOU TOLD ME, ALREADY I KNOW. PRESSURE IS REDUCED TO 13 IN BOTH EYES. THERE IS ANY HOMOPATHIC TREATMENT TO REMOVE CLOUDINESS FROM MY LEFT EYE ?

I am so sorry I misunderstood your first question, several medical treatments may be opted by your eye doctor such as drops that reduce the pressure in your eye, which you have been on already, such drops would be Timoptic, Xalatan or Alphagan. Oral medication may also be prescribed in some cases. As with all prescription medication, special caution needs to be taken as many have potentially dangerous and bothersome side-effects. Surgical options are available- laser trabeculoplasty,trabeculectomy.
Now Homeopathic treatments yes are out there!
As you know standard medicine says that there is no cure for glaucoma, if that is in fact what you have. Natural treatments can be beneificial and help your symptoms calm to bearable levels.
One such herb which is commonly used for eye health is Vaccinium myrtillus (bilberry) which strengthens eye capillaries, prevents eye-related disease and infections, and enhances the body’s natural visual capacity. Other herbal ingredients such as Aspalathus linearis (Rooibos) and Sutherlandia frutescens work as effective anti-oxidants and assist to maintain a healthy supply of blood, oxygen and essential nutrients to the eye.
I have also read that grape seed extract is good for the nerve damage related to eyes and the optic nerve., taken by mouth.
Here is a great resource for you related to natural meds and treatments, http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/ce/ceCourse.aspx?s=ND&cs=&pc=09-23&cec=1&pm=5
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I DID NOT GET THE ANSWER I WANTED. MY EYE DOCTOR SAYS, THIS WILL NOT GO AWAY. I AM LOOKING FOR AN ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT TO REMOVE CLOUDINESS FROM MY LEFT EYE.
I am terribly sorry that you are not getting the answer you want, just trying to help, not worried about payment. This is an interesting topic as I research more about eye disorders and glaucoma, they are now saying that the brain is more responsible for glaucoma not the retinal cells, this video I found explains some of that.
http://vimeo.com/27777313

Marijuana : probably the number one alteraltive treatment (I am not telling you to use this, it is your choice alone, making sure you are in a legal state, and aware that is does have other side effect)
The most well known alternative method of lowering IOP is via marijuana, specifically THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). Because of the many side effects of Marijuana for glaucoma treatment to lower intraocular pressuremarijuana and its potential abuse it has extremely limited use for lowering IOP. Based on studies in the 1970's marijuana lowers IOP by small amounts but the effect only lasted for 3-4 hours. Because it is important to maintain pressure throughout all 24 hours of every day it makes the regular use of marijuana to treat glaucoma not feasible. Another problem is that marijuana can lower blood pressure, thereby reducing blood flow to the optic nerve and potentially causing structural damage to the optic nerve.
Not sure if this will remove the cloudiness from your left eye.
A change in your position of sleep is another alternative treatment
Studies have shown an increase in IOP when a person is in the supine position (lying down) vs. standing or seated upright. IOP fluctuates throughout each day and tends to be the highest at night while sleeping. Having a person sleep with their head at a 30 degree incline has shown a reduction in IOP of up to 20% in some patients.
Melatonin has been shown to decrease IOP
Melatonin may interact with various medications, including blood-thinning medications (anticoagulants), immunosuppressants, diabetes medications and birth control pills. Melatonin should be avoided or used with caution and under a doctor's supervision for anyone using these medicines. Taking melatonin for longer than two months may be harmful. The best dose of melatonin isn't certain. If you take melatonin be careful during daytime activities, such as driving or operating heavy machinery. Talk to your doctor before taking melatonin, especially if you have any other health conditions. Melatonin from animals can contain viruses or other contaminants so all melatonin supplements should be manufactured with artificial ingredients.
Acupuncture has promising effects -- but it has also been shown to increase IOP in some studies in animals, be careful and let your specialist know first
Jaborandi -- a rainforest herb -- contains a substance called pilocarpine that has been used for over 100 years to help reduce intraocular pressure. Jaborandi, notes Balch, possesses diuretic properties and performs many important health actions, including reducing inflammation and stimulating milk production in nursing mothers. This herbal remedy has been used to treat glaucoma, bronchitis, fevers, colds, colon problems, flu and edema. The leaves of this plant are used in herbal preparations.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Omega 3 fatty acids provide many benefits for many systems in the human body and the maintenance of vascular health is one benefit that clearly benefits the health of the optic nerve where glaucoma damage occurs.
Antioxidants

To combat the free radicals from oxidative stress antioxidants have been suggested. Primary sources include polyphenol compounds including resveratrol. Others antioxidants are coenzyme Q10, turmeric, dark chocolate, green tea and ginkgo biloba.

Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is the primary antioxidant found in green tea. It may help in not only cardiovascular disease and macular degeneration but also in glaucoma. It has been shown to be beneficial in protecting ganglion cells following injury. It also has anti-inflammatory and antiangiogenic properties. It would be prudent to drink decaffeinated green tea to avoid the caffeine related side effects which could actually counter the helpful effects of green tea since caffeine can possibly increase intraocular pressure.

As far as treatment for your cloudy eye, Reducing eye pressure is one of the primary treatment goals for this condition. So any alternative treatments with herbs, nutritional supplements or other meds to reduce your IOP will help your problem also.

I hope this helps you or at least answers your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THIS IS NOT MY QUESTION. PLEASE READ ABOVE WHAT I WROTE TO YOU. PRESURE IS NOT A PROBLEM. IT IS ALREADY REDUCED TO MORMAL 13 IN BOTH EYES WITH 3 EYE DROPS WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS SINCE OVER SEVERAL MONTHS.. MY LEFT EYE IS CLOUDY THAT IS NOT GOING AWAY. I AM LOOKING FOR ANY EFFECTIVE TREATMENT TO REMOVE CLOUDINESS FROM MY LEFT EYE. I WILL CONTNUE TAKING DROPS TO MAINTAIN EYE PRESSURE NORMAL.

As far as treatment for your cloudy eye, Reducing eye pressure is one of the primary treatment goals for this condition. So any alternative treatments with herbs, nutritional supplements or other meds to reduce your IOP will help your problem also.Are they sure it is not a cataract problem also? have they ruled out all other eye disease problems and know that you have glaucoma?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PLEASE BE SPECIFIC. ALL THE TIME YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT REDUCING PRESSURE. PRESSURE REMAINS NORMAL ALL THE TIME. THERE ARE NO OTHER DISEASES. CLOUDINESS IN LEFT EYE IS PROBLEM. WITH RIGHT EYE CLOSED I CAN NOT SEE ANYTHING CLEARLY WITH LEFT EYE.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am an ophthalmologist and your question has just posted to the eye section. It will take me a few moments to review all the postings to date. Be right back.....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Well. I've reviewed all your posting and the postings of the JA experts to date.

First of all, even you never actually said this, I believe you suffered from an attack of angle closure glaucoma. Treatment was able to break this attack, but alas, the nerve in your left eye was damaged to the extent that you are left with cloudy vision. I wonder....did you have a laser treatment during your high pressure, or shortly thereafter (peripheral laser iridotomy)?

In any event your eye pressure, in both eyes, while on drops, is in the normal range....but your vision remains cloudy.

Do I have things correct so far?

All the advice on homeopathic treatments, herbs, marijuana that you received from Leslie Block, RN, is -- in my professional opinion as an eye surgeon -- is a lot of BS. Please ignore all of it. It won't help you at all.

So. What, you might ask, can I do to restore the vision in my cloudy left eye? As the glaucoma expert pointed out, the vision loss is due to damage to your optic nerve. The optic nerve is like a piece of the brain....once it is damaged, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that can be done to fix it.

I'm very sorry to tell you this, but given what you have told me (that your optic nerve was damaged during your episode of high eye pressure) there will never be a way to improve the vision in your left eye.

Does this make sense to you?

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NO LASER TREATMENT WAS GIVEN TO REDUCE PRESSURE. PLEASE NOTE THAT BEFORE GOING TO EYE DOCTOR APPAETLY I DID NOT HAVE ANY CLOUDINESS PROBLEM IN MY LEFT EYE. AFTER TAKING DROPS FOR A FEW WEEKS, IT DEVELOPED SUDDENLY.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Is it your vision that is cloudy, or does the front of your eyeball (the cornea) look cloudy to you?

Can you please tell me again what the glaucoma expert told you so I make sure I understand things correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

FIRST I WENT TO GENERAL EYE DOCTOR. AS I TOLD YOU, INITIALLY I DID NOT WANT HAVE CLOUDINESS PROBLEM IN MY LEFT EYE. SHE COULD REDUCE PRESSURE IN BOTH EYES TO NORMAL 16. WHEN CLOUDINESS DEVELOPED IN MY LEFT EYE, THEN SHE REFERRED ME TO GLAUCOMA SPECIALIST. INITIALLY, HE CONTINUED WITH THE SAME 2 DROPS AS GENERAL EYE DOCTOR WAS GIVING. AFTERWARDS HE ADDED ONE MORE DROP. THIS REDUCED PRESSURE IN BOTH EYES 10 13 BUT CLOUDINESS DID NOT GO AWAY. HE SAYS, THIS IS DUE TO NERVE DAMAGE AND THIS WILL NOT GO AWAY. I FEEL CLOUDINESS IN MY LEFT EYE ALLTHE TIME, IT LOOKS, THERE IS TRANSPARENT CURTAIN IN FRONT OF MY LEFT EYE. WITH RIGHT EYE CLOSED , VISION WITH LEFT EYE IS CLOUDY AND I CAN SEE ONLY PARTIALLY. PART OF VISION IS CLEAR AND PART OF VISION IS CLOUDY.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I believe that your cloudy vision is do to the damage to your optic nerve as the glaucoma expert told you. It doesn't matter that the cloudy vision was not there at first...somewhere along the way your nerve became damaged.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done to fix your cloudy vision at this point. Ever.

Does this make sense to you?

Anyone who tells you that they have a herb, exercise, pill etc that will restore function or health to your optic nerve is only trying to take you money.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
LET ME TELL YOU ONE THING. WHEN CLODINESS STARTED, WITH RIGHT EYE CLOSED, I WAS SEEING WITH LEFT EYE ONLY SMALL HORIZONTAL STRIP CLEAR AND OTHER VISION AREAS BLACK. NOW I CAN SEE PARTIALLY ENTIRE VISION AREA SOME AREAS CLEAR SOME AREAS CLOUDY.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I understand what you are saying. Perhaps things are changing, but if the nerve is damaged there is no way to fix your cloudy vision, even if it is different from time to time. That being said, you might try another opinion:

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Although, from what you have told me, I do not think there is anywhere or anyone in the world who can restore clear vision to your left eye.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I HAVE STRONG FAITH IN GOD, SOMEDAY CLOUDINESS WILL GO AWAY AND VISION IN MY LEFT EYE WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL. THIS AFFECTS MY LIVELYHOOD. I AM IN ENGINEERING BUSINESS REQUIRING LOT OF TRAVEL AND DRIVING THAT I CAN DO NOW IN A VERY LIMITED WAY.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I hope you are correct. One positive thing is that, since your pressure is now in the normal range, hopefully there will be no further damage.