Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am 43 years old, I have done

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am 43 years old, I have done laser eye surgery on both my eyes 4 weeks ago. I was very happy with the resulsts especially since i had very high prescription of -8.50 and -7.50. A week ago I started weeing 2 black spots and the doctor had diagnosed them as ad eye floaters. No eye damage was found in my eye and my optician says just to ignore them. Are these floaters a side effect of the surgery? will they go away or eventually settle down? What is your opinion? Thanks most appreciated.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Your doctor is correct. What you are experiencing is called a posterior vitreous detachement

Dr. Rick :

It is not related to your lasik surgery; more then likely it is related to your baseline high myopia

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

It does, my doctor who is also the one that had done laser to me has done a full test on both my eyes a few days ago

Customer:

and says that there is absolutely no demage in my retina

Dr. Rick :

That is the usual course of floaters....in the vast majority of cases it doesn't cause any retinal issues at all.....that being said, as a retina surgeon myself, I tend to see the cases where it does :)

Customer:

I do not see any flashes at all also

Dr. Rick :

It is a good sign that you are not seeing any flashes. This tells me that your retina is not being pulled on by the vitreous and, as such, your risk of retinal complications is very,very low.

Dr. Rick :

Where in the world is Malta?

Customer:

They were of a great shock to me as I was extremely happy with post op results,

Dr. Rick :

I'm in Wisconsin and we have 2.5 feet of snow on the ground right now :(

Customer:

malta is right in the middle of the medittereanean sea very close to Italy

Dr. Rick :

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'd just have your ophthalmologist re-examine your retina in 2 months or so just to make sure everything is ok.

Dr. Rick :

Oh...I knew I'd heard about that place before. There were a few big battles there in WWII if I remember correctly.

Customer:

Will the floaters eventually improve? Does this take months?

Dr. Rick :

As I noted above they don't go away but your brain starts to filter them out and they sink down out of the center of your vision with time so you don't notice them as much. I've had them in my left eye for 30 years now and almost never even notice them anymore, even though they are there if I concentrate on 'em.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me today?

Customer:

One more question pls

Customer:

I have also noticed that my central floater is now also carrying a slight blur is this normal?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, that is very possible with floaters. They come in many shapes, sizes, clarity etc.

Customer:

thank you I do hope that I will adapt to them and I do not notice them that much because after laser this was really of a great dissapointment

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I believe that in a few months you will barely even notice them anymore. Congratulations on your excellent surgical outcome. Take care and have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.