Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My daughter was hit in the eye with a soccer ball 5 days ago

My daughter was hit in the eye with a soccer ball 5 days ago and now has blurry vision due to a swollen retina. The dr. told her yesterday the swelling had gone down somewhat but she continues with the blurry vision. Is there a certain amount of time before we should be concerned that she won't get her vision back?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was your daughter examined by an ophthalmologist (eye MD), or an optometrist?

Dr. Rick :

As what to expect concerning the return of your daughters vision or how long this will take, it depends upon what is wrong with her retina. Do you remember the eye doctor saying anything about "berlin's edema"?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I am online and looking forward to your response so I can better understand what is going on with your daughters eye. I am a retina surgeon.....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is at college and did see an opthamologist and he called it commotio retina
Ok. That's good. That is just another term for Berlin's edema.

The good news? The ophthalmologist is correct. This doesn't require any drops and will resolve on its own. Of course, like everything in medicine, some patients have complications that can cause vision problems but this is very rare.

Here is a very good article on this topic.

How long will it take for her vision to come back? If her macula (the important part of her retina used for all daily visual tasks) is involved, it may take 4 to 6 weeks. I would recommend that she be re-examined by an ophthalmologist 5 to 7 days after her last examination just to make sure things are going in the right direction.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue. I'll standby in case you have more questions or will like to discuss things further.

Have a good day.
Oops! Forgot to give you the link to the article....

My memory is good, just short ;)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She saw him the day after the accident and then again yesterday when he said the swelling was going down and told her to return in one month. I guess I just wanted to verify his findings to try to decide if she should get a second opinion?
It sounds like your daughter is getting excellent care. That is the same schedule I would examine her if she was in my office and there were no complicating features noted.

Remember, as a retina specialist I mostly see the complicated cases....doesn't sound like your daughter needs me ;)