Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Diagnosos of shingles in the eye

Customer Question

Diagnosos of shingles in the eye
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Shingles or herpes zoster ophthalmicus (HZO)infection of the eye can have varied presentations. Involvement of the cornea or deeper structures of the eye are the ones which need specific treatment in the form of anti-viral eye ointment( acyclovir). But irrespective of that in presence of skin lesions anti viral medicines should be started as early as possible for rapid healing and for prevention of post herpetic neuralgia(PHN). Tab.Acyclovir, 800mg, 1 tablet 5 times a day for 7 days is the usual course of the treatment. I suggest you consult an ophthalmologist for a closer look at the eye and to know extent of involvement of the eye and for start of oral medicines.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist