Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Visible pulsation (to myself and others) under left eye for

Visible pulsation (to myself and others) under left eye for 2 weeks after doing home microdermabrasion. not in sync with pulse. no pain, no visual disturbances. 20/20 vision with eye exam less than a year ago. lasik surgery greater than 10 yrs ago. hx dm2 last hgb aic 6 on glucophage on prozac for hx of depression. no dose changes. do use computer and read alot as well, but no different than past use.no pain no swelling but is embarrassing . any suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Visible pulsation in the lower lid or twitching of the lid is often due to a benign condition which occurs due to misfiring of impulses at the neuro-muscular junction.It is referred to as eyelid myokymia. The exact cause is not known and being benign in nature it does not require any specific treatment. Reassurance is most important here. In severe cases the twitching can be stopped by giving botulinum injections. But these injections can be associated with more severe side effects(ptosis,lid laxity,exposure keratitis). I guess it should subside once you begin to ignore its presence.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss in this regard.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your speedy response. although it is a pulsation Under the left eye not a twitching of the eyelid.
It would still amount to myokymia if not eyelid myokymia. In this condition also the pathophysiology remains the same and the treatment is reassurance again. If it persists say for months, the it can be evaluated for any underlying systemic cause such as thyrotoxicosis,demyelinating disease, GB syndrome. But more often than not it is idiopathic( no cause is known) and self limiting within weeks to months.

Thank you and best wishes.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince