Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My daughters glasses are filled incorrectly by an optical

My daughter’s glasses are filled incorrectly by an optical store which was recently discovered by the eye doctor during a routine examination. The eye doctor verified that the left glass is a plain lens with no prescription versus -.50 as shown in the prescription. My daughter had been wearing the glasses for about a year and her left eye sight has worsened to -2.0 which is significantly different from her right eye which was given the correct prescription lens and stayed stable (only changed from -.25 to -.50).
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry to hear about the error in her eyeglass Rx and that she wore it for almost a year.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? It is such a minute Rx (-.50) that, not only did she not notice that she was wearing plain glass, but it has not damaged her vision in any way, shape or form.

Dr. Rick :

There is also no way that this incident in any way caused or impacted where her current Rx is in that eye. As far as medical science teaches us her right eye would have ended up needing a -2.00 lens anyway. It is genetics, not an error in her glasses, that has caused her Rx to change -- this, of course, assumes that her eyes are otherwise healthy on a complete exam.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Welcome to chat. Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer:

Bow how come it was so different compared with her right eye?

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question. Just because it is genetics that determines our glasses Rx doesn't mean that it has to be balanced in each eye all the time. Maybe this will be her final Rx, (you didn't say how old she is) or maybe next year the other eye will change to -2.00..... Your daughters Rx is very much within the variations of normal.

Dr. Rick :

Really. Trust me on this. The error in her glasses has not hurt her at all nor has it impacted the length of her eyeball, the refracting power or her cornea and lens or anything that would be involved in determining what power glasses she uses to get clear vision.

Dr. Rick :

There is no such thing as a bad glasses Rx.....there is just the Rx that works best for you.

Dr. Rick :

.50 is not "better" then 2.00 etc....The number is XXXXX to worry about or blame anyone for.

Dr. Rick :

I get the feeling your not buying this?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest