Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hello. I was skiing in Spain four days ago and literally dont

Customer Question

Hello. I was skiing in Spain four days ago and literally don't remember why happened. I woke up in a wheelchair and had an oxygen thing up my nose and ice on my right side of forehead. I can not remember why happened. My friends tell me that I was skiing close to the spot I fell and they Found me on ground and nobody saw anything. Thy think I hit a patch of ice. No trees were near. They had left me and went down the mountain and we were close to bottom. I said I would meet them down there. They found me with sunglasses on and I tried to sit up. I answered questions correctly although I did not remember that I was in pain for work, only that I was in Spain.the octor took his finger and checked my eyes following his finger. He kept me for observation for an hour , band aided my cut on head and released me telling me no aspirin. I felt better when I otbo friends house and eye started to appear swollen after one day. I flew from Spain to Greece yesterday and noticed that my head hurts more today than all days and that my eye is almost all purple( like black eye). I also feel dizzy when I turn my head or try to move my head whengoing to sleep or waking up. Please tell me what to do. I am in a foreign country and want to feel better. Do I ice my head? Do I go o hospital and get an x ray or catscan to make sure brin is ok and head trauma is ok? I am scared. Please help me. My eye us also swollen and only feels better when I put a cold washcloth on it
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer : Yes
Doctor DanB :

While I think ice is fine for the eye as that will help the swelling, I definitely think you need to be evaluated by a physician for head trauma, which will likely include (and should) a head CT. You have all the makings of a possible concussion and when your symptoms are getting worse, rather than better after head trauma, you have to know whether there is bleeding going on inside the head. To that end, I would not delay being seen by a doctor. Does that make sense?

Customer : Yes. But I must go to a hospital in Greece and I need to tell them what I want so please tell me if a catscan is necessary or an X-ray . Also is the dizziness normal or not for four days later. I would like to go there and be prepared as it is a public hospital. Do they need to take blood as well? How will they know if I have bleeding inside the brain ?
Doctor DanB :

While dizziness can be normal 4 days after head trauma, the dizziness, head pain, periocular swelling should be getting better, and not worse. This suggests that it's possible that there is bleeding inside the head, but ultimately the only way to know for sure is to get a CT scan, although sometimes a spinal tap (lumbar puncture) can demonstrate bleeding inside the head (although this is a more invasive procedure not usually done to demonstrate bleeding inside the head). I think what you need to convey to the hospital is that you have had head trauma and amnesia associated with it (a concussion) and have symptoms that are getting worse and that you are worried for bleeding in the head--I would hope that if the doctor felt it were medically necessary after having examined you that they would order a CT of the head to assess for bleeding, but that's what I would order if I were seeing you.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer : Yes. But if I hav bleeding inside the head, can it be stopped? I want to know as well if the rain has anything to do with my feeling worse today as the past three days it wa no rain. Is it normal o not remember anything from the accident?
Doctor DanB :

When you have a concussion, it is normal to have a period around the incident that you don't remember. I don't suspect that the rain has anything significant to do with your symptoms being worse. If you have bleeding inside the head, it has to stop on it's own, but it's important to know if you are bleeding in the head because if the pressure inside the head gets too great, it can lead to serious medical problems, including stroke or worse--and something at least can be done about. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer : Yes I am not satisfied
Doctor DanB :

What can I do to help satisfy you? What are your concerns?

Doctor DanB :

I'm more than willing to further assess your situation and keep working with you to help you resolve your concerns, but I can't do so unless you help communicate them to me.

Customer : I don't like that you cut me off and wanted credits. My boyfriend who is not a doctor told me the same thing. I expected more from a doctor.
Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry that you believe I cut you off. It was not my intent. On my end it appeared that you left our chat. As far as wanting credits, while I am a doctor and want what's best for you, I don't provide this service all day long out of the goodness of my heart solely. Because I give of my time and expertise, I think it only fair that I am compensated for doing so. However, you are entirely within your right to seek another opinion from someone else. Just because I would like to be compensated for my time, efforts, and expertise, does not make me a bad person, nor does it make me a bad doctor. I am actually an exceptional physician who always puts the needs of my patients first. In your situation, I have a significant worry for your outcome and as such tried to convey to you that I think it is an urgent thing to have your head evaluated and exactly what I thought needed to be looked for. I hope you are successful in finding someone to give you professional medical advice who is more magnanimous than I am.