Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my son went to an ophthalmologist today and his left eye had

my son went to an ophthalmologist today and his left eye had an uneven surface. the dr. was unable to get a perscription that would work for corrective lenses. this is a recent problem with his vision (1-2 days.) His other eye was scratched when he removed the contact lens 2 days ago. He has been wearing a contact in the right eye until two days ago, but the left eye that has the uneven surface has not had a contact in it for a couple of weeks. Any ideas on what could cause this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

was your son examined by an ophthalmologist or a optometrist?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat

Customer:

an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

He went to the emergency room yesterday becasue he scratched his right eye. He has been wearing contact lenses that are replaced every 30 days, but wore the last pair much longer (2-3 months.) About 2 weeks ago the lens in the left eye tore and he did not put another one in. His vision was blurred, but not like it was today. According to the doctor, he was basically leagally blind in that eye.

Dr. Rick :

Oops...my internet connection crashed and required a reboot....I'm back. Sorry about that

Customer:

no problem. gave me time to enter some more information. my son is 23 and has worn glasses/contacts since about 5th grade.

Dr. Rick :

I hope you let him know that the next time he does something like this he's gonna get a smack from you lol!

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like, at the very least, he has contact overwear keratitis......this can take some time to heal.

Customer:

He has learned big time!!! No more contacts. He is so scared. We have an appointment in a week to check again, but I just wanted to know if there was more info on what could cause this.

Customer:

what is keratitis?

Dr. Rick :

The primary cause was abusing his contacts. What he did is very dangerous but it seems that he has dodged a bullet this time.

Dr. Rick :

inflammation or infection of the cornea...the clear part of your eye that the contact covers.

Customer:

do you think there is a good chance his vision will improve in the left eye?

Dr. Rick :

Was he given any prescription drops to use by the eye MD?

Dr. Rick :

Of course, you and I never did anything stupid and dangerous when we were young lol!

Customer:

the dr. said the cornea looked good, but when he reflected light back, the edges were irregular as compared to the smooth line in the right (scratched) eye. He was given a antibiotic/steroid drop yesterday at the hospital. He was using it in both eyes every two hours yesterday. The dr said that would not casue this problem, if anything make it better. I never did anything stupid with my eyes! lol

Customer:

other stupid and dangerous things, sadly yes!

Dr. Rick :

Are you sure this eye doctor is indeed an MD -- a person who does cataract surgery etc?

Dr. Rick :

I am a bit worried about using a drop that contains a steroid if it is not being watched closely by a Board Certified MD, ophthalmologist.....

Customer:

He is an MD, I don't know about his surgeries, etc. He was recommended by the dr. at the hospital. I know he has been in practice for many years.

Customer:

The ER dr. felt that he was better qualified to deal with this than our regular eye dr who does a lot of eye reconstruction surgeries and lasix, etc.

Dr. Rick :

Ok....well, then sounds like your son is in good hands. If there is any concern on your part a consultation with a cornea specialist would put your son in the hands of a sub-specialist who only deals with extreme cases of corneal issues.

Dr. Rick :

An ER doc, no matter what he thinks, is never (in my opinion) better equipped to deal with an eye issue then an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

So if he is not okay by next week you would recommend a specialist? We are in Utah and have the Eye Institute here. They are awesome. My mom had a cornea transplant there a couple of years ago.

Dr. Rick :

But, as a retina specialist with two decades of experience I guess I'm a little biased on this issue. I don't do heart attacks....ER docs shouldn't do eyes. ;)

Customer:

True. they just didn't have an eye dr. on call yesterday. That is why we went in today. he did call the dr we saw today about the drops and he checked for a viral infection. both agree it is not viral.

Dr. Rick :

If it were my son that is what I would do. The John Moran eye Center at the U is very well respected....

Dr. Rick :

Ya...I wouldn't have even considered viral infection from what you have told me...

Customer:

My mother's dr. is Dr. Zabriski. He is one of the top in the country from what I understand.

Dr. Rick :

I don't know him but I travel in different circles since we are in separate sub-specialties. I'm sure he would give your son state of the art care should it be necessary

Customer:

does keratitis generally heal on it's own over time?

Dr. Rick :

Depends on how bad it is...but if it is only contact lens overwear your son should regain all his vision

Customer:

are there other things that could cause this?

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Olson, who is the Dept Chairman, is a corneal specialist per the webpage...

Dr. Rick :

Yes, but given your son's history it is very likely that he did it by over wearing his lenses. I've actually had a patient loose their entire eyeball from what your son did.

Customer:

that is so frightening.

Dr. Rick :

but, on the positive side, his doesn't seem that severe and I bet he won't do it again.

Dr. Rick :

We

Customer:

I just think it is odd that he took the lens out of that eye over 2 weeks ago and did not notice that he didn't have vision in it. Then today, it was so bad.

Dr. Rick :

We've had 5 kids so I've been there and done that. Next time around I'm gonna have puppies :o)

Dr. Rick :

That happens sometimes as one eye takes over until you blink etc.

Customer:

Mason is my only son. I am very overprotective.

Customer:

so his vision could have been bad all this time and he just didn't realize it?

Dr. Rick :

I always kid my wife that since we have 5 it's no big deal if we damage or loose one.....she, for some reason, always hits me when I say that

Dr. Rick :

Yes, or it could have gotten worse suddenly if there is significant inflammation or infection.

Customer:

You are lucky to be alive imho.

Dr. Rick :

:)

Customer:

the eye does not have imflammation or infection and has not had any over the past few weeks.

Dr. Rick :

If the vision is still bad next week take him to the U to see a corneal specialist

Dr. Rick :

Maybe make an appt now and cancel if things get better.

Customer:

so it is most likely the cornea and not the retina?

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me I do not see any reason why the retina would be involved or the cause of his vision loss. I would also have expected the ophthalmologist to have dilated his eye and checked his retina anyway.

Customer:

They are very specialized at the eye institute. He did check the retina and also the pressure. the pressure was up a little, but in the 16-18 range.

Dr. Rick :

that is still normal, which is 10-21 mmHg

Customer:

any other advice that may help him heal faster? vitamins, rest, moiture drops?

Dr. Rick :

Nothing to worry about there.

Dr. Rick :

Hard to tell on the moisture drops as some conditions, where the endothelial cells have been stressed/damaged, you don't want to use extra lubrication. Vitamins etc really won't help.

Customer:

are the endothelial cells in the cornea or the covering of the eye. I don't know what that is called.

Dr. Rick :

It would be best, XXXXX XXXXX he just lays around the house and has his meals brought to him on the couch near his computer, tv and video games. He should also not do any house hold chores, take out the trash etc. Also, paying him $300/day should help speed his recovery (tell your son there is an extra charge for this Rx ;)

Dr. Rick :

They are on the back surface of the cornea and act as pumps to keep the cornea thin and clear.

Customer:

He will like that. He is so upset and depressed.

Dr. Rick :

How old is he?

Customer:

23

Dr. Rick :

Just let him know that he should be better and that you are there to make sure he gets the best care available.

Customer:

Thank you. I will do that. I feel much better. I know he will too. He is convinced that he may not see well enough to drive anymore.

Dr. Rick :

I've never seen him drive but I think he'll be ok.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how your son's eye turns out.