Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have a prescription of -8,-1.5 in R eye and -8.5,-.75 L eye

Customer Question

I have a prescription of -8,-1.5 in R eye and -8.5,-.75 L eye and have just been prescribed my first add of +1.75. I want to order glasses with very thin lenses (since I will be wearing glasses I/O contacts more often now since contacts are just difficult for near vision now(ugh!). So I want the glasses to be as attractive as possible. My current glasses which are about 4 years old are 1.67 hi index (i think) but the lenses still bulge from the back and even from the front a bit. I want progressives. What is the best lens for me? There are so many, very confusing. Perhaps the hi index lenses are better now than 4 years ago? Which brand is best? Do I need to go up to a 1.74 index(extremely expensive?!)
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer: Ok please read and give your opinion!
Dr. Rick :

Ok. I'm just finishing up another question and will closely read yours and be right back...

Customer: Thank you
Customer: It says you are disconnected?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm back and reading your post.....

Customer: Ok yhx
Customer: Thx
Dr. Rick :

it is just the chat acting up...if it continues we can switch to Q&A, but it is also tells me you are jumping in and out of chat every 15 seconds.....crazy computer :)

Dr. Rick :

Customer: Hmmm buggy site?
Dr. Rick :

Well, you have a very high even with high index plastic/glass your lenses will have a noticeable bulge in the is just the nature of the beast.

Customer: Maybe we should do the q&a - where ever I go to do that........
Dr. Rick :

The higher the refractive index of the material, the thinner the lens will be....but the rear bulge will always be there. So, it is just a matter of personal preference if you want to pay big bucks for the lenses to be a little bit thinner by using 1.74 index material. There is no brand name that is any better when it comes to the actual lens manufacturing...they are all made to the same high standards; once again it comes down to a personal/fashion issue.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I switch it over will see a screen that says your chat has ended...but don't worry, I'll be waiting for you on Q&A.

That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I'm here.....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok so even if I get 1.74 index it won't be much better than 1.67? Even in aspheric type 1.74?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
It will only cause the actual thickness of the lens to be a bit thinner. The curve on the back will still be noticeable but it may be a bit less "curvy" but not a lot.

Aspheric just means that the lens is ground in such a way as to minimize edge distortion. Almost every lens in your Rx range will have this.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Are you still there? My system shows that you are still online...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh yes, system went down. So I probably already have aspheric lenses? They are a bit flat on front...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any how keep getting error messages :(
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
The system just crashed on me too....sorry :(

Yes, you most likely have aspheric lenses already. Depending on the type of lens they can be flat in the front (most common) with the curve (and therefor the power) on the back.

JustAnswer has been targeted lately by hackers....guess it is going on again right now.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
The system is under attack I think. It has been going up and down and resending your last post over and over again....

Once again, I'm sorry about all of this. This really almost never happens

Let me know what else I can do for you.