Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I recently went to the doctors with migraines, neck pain (no

I recently went to the doctors with migraines, neck pain (no stiffness), and vertigo that lasted for a couple weeks. The Dr's initial diagnosis was neck spasms. However, I've also recently noticed that I also have doubled vision in one eye. When I cover my right eye everything is clear, but when I cover my left I see every distance. I haven't noticed this issue long enough to keep track of if/how it changes throughout the day.

I have always had 20/15, but this sudden onset of double vision in one eye is a little unsettling. Some insight to what is causing this would be great.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB : Thankfully, I think the source of this double vision is likely to be not serious and easily remedied. When the double vision is only in one eye, it is almost always a refractive error, or a need for glasses or contact lenses. You may ask yourself why this came on so suddenly, but usually the refractive error is months on the making, at lead, but is just realized suddenly when something (perhaps your migraine) prompts you to cover one eye. Does that make sense?

It does. How fast do refractive errors usually occur?

Also, can this be corrected with laser surgery? I work on a computer all day and it has become very apparent within the last couple weeks.

Doctor DanB : Usually no sooner than several weeks though the point that it changes enough that someone notices it can seem like overnight.

Understood. Can these errors be cause from sever migraines or pinched nerves? Along with this neck spasm came numbness in my right arm.

Doctor DanB : Essentially, no.

Ok great. Thank you for answering my questions.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Do you have any other questions about this?

Nope. I will be making an appointment with my optometrist, but the reassurance that this is not likely a serious problem helps. thank you.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Great thank you.