Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I dont think I have a ptyergium, but I dont know what this

Customer Question

I don't think I have a ptyergium, but I don't know what this could be. For about 5 or 6 years I have had this little blobule on the conjuctiva towards the inner corner of my right eye. It is absoutely clear like egg white. Most of the time it seems to be full of fluid in the morning and has always flattend out by the end of the day is not really visible at all. It can be pushed back and forth to some extent but is definitely attached. It is not a triangular shape that grows from the corner of the eye. I have not gone to an eye doctor for this as it usually is flattened out by noon. Sometimes if I have a lot salt the previous day it will really swell and feel pinched. I have had a severe cold recently plus plenty of allergies and the little blobule is remaining swollen through out the day.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

From the given description it looks like either it is a pinguecula( a kind of fatty degeneration of the conjunctiva) or a conjunctival cyst. Both the conditions do not require any specific treatment. Pinguecula can be left alone as it is a harmless condition. A conjunctival cyst is excised if is recurrent by a minor surgery. None of the eye medicines would have any kind of effect on these conditions . Only when the surrounding tissue is inflammed as is noticed by adjoining redness in the eye, anti-inflammatory eye drops are given such as fluoromethalone.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please let me know if you additional queries in this regard.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What cause a pinguecula? The pictures that I saw are not like mine in that the pictured ones are not a clear blob like egg white uncooked. Do they commonly expand and collapse?
graphicIn that case it could be a conjunctival cyst as is seen in the picture above. This is clear like the one you described and can rupture and reform again. If it keeps bothering you , you can get it excised by an ophthalmologist.