Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Im having issues with allergies, especially in the eyes, red

I'm having issues with allergies, especially in the eyes, red and itchy, and itchy skin around the neck area only. While talking with my doctor about starting allergy shots he asked if I've ever taXXXXX XXXXXdocaine. I said no as far as I know. I asked why he asked that and he just brushed it off. Is there a possibility that allergy shots might affect me and that I'd have to have lidocaine for treatment?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : What allergy drops have you used?
Customer:

let me get them.

Customer:

Pataday from eye dr.

Doctor DanB : Did you use them daily and if so, for how long consecutively?
Customer:

Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray and I take Lumigan .03 for glaucoma. Day time I use Systane Ultras for dry eyes.

Customer:

Pataday I use only when the corners of my eyes itch so bad.

Customer:

I've also have presc for erythromycin op oin used twice daily for 10 days.

Doctor DanB : I think you may be the type of individual who needs to be on the Pataday drop as well as the allergy nasal spray and also an oral antihistamine such  as Claritin everyday indefinitely. 
Customer:

when will he come on line and tell me something? Nothing from DanB yet. Does he come back on or does he send me email answer?

Customer:

I'm here

Doctor DanB : Did you see my response?
Customer:

No.

Customer:

I also asked you whether lidocaine if involved in treating allergies or reactions to them. I also found I have an erythromycin ointment to use. I don't see that you told me anything new or new suggestions.

Doctor DanB : I have not seen any evidence that shows that lidocaine is effective in treating eye allergies, but I can't speak for systemic allergies. While erythromycin ointment may be helpful in some cases of infection I wouldn't expect it to help allergic conjunctivitis. I think the use of Claritin instead of Benadryl and the instruction to use all of these modalities every day as opposed to just as needed are things that I think are new to your regimen and that can help you.
Customer:

Is Claritin compatible with glaucoma?

Doctor DanB : Yes, Claritin is usually okay to take if you have glaucoma.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

I'm desperately trying to find something to relieve my eyes. Here in Utah the trees are popping out and that means for me, that my eyes will start itching badly in the next few weeks. And this continues clear until December when the weeds die down. Nothing the eye dr or allergist have done for me has helped. And now no suggestions from you. I"m disappointed.

Doctor DanB : Have you tried using Singulair?
Customer:

No.

Doctor DanB : I think that the addition of Singulair to the daily regimen we discussed may prove to be of some help to you. However, you may have such bad allergies that you need to be on systemic immunotherapy indefinitely and not just for a couple of years.
Customer:

Ok, thanks for this info. I'll find another allergist to get a 3rd opinion. Have a good. day.

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology