Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My Dad is 73 years old. He has CNS Lymphoma.MRI last week shows

My Dad is 73 years old. He has CNS Lymphoma.MRI last week shows no evidence of tumor.
In the last week his eyesight has diminished from blurry to just seeing light(today). He has an appointment with an eye doctor tomorrow. Any suggestions for today?

Milt Brown [email protected]
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Knowing your father's diagnosis, I have A strong suspicion that he has cancer associated retinopathy which may be causing vision loss. The ophthalmologist will do a complete dilated eye exam to look for other causes of vision loss but in someone with CNS lymphoma, this is high on my suspicion list. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : This is a process where antibodies the immune system makes against the cancer cells cross-reacts with the retina to cause retinal dysfunction and therefore the vision loss. However, on exam, there usually is no visible sign seen to suggest this. Other than markedly decreased vision, the exam is usually unremarkable otherwise.
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense?  Do you have any other questions about this?It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

is this loss permanent?

I will accept, but don't want to end chat