Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have purchased a couple of small bottles Nivella sative,

I have purchased a couple of small bottles Nivella sative, believing that it is the same as hemp oil. I would like to use it as eye drops and wonder how safe it is to test it out.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Hi!

Customer:

Yes, I am.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If I were in your place I would think twice before trying out any new eye drops such as these.Unfortunately there is not much literature to show the effects of black cumin seed extract- nigella sative, on the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

With intraocular pressures recoreded as 23 mm of hg, I would be very cautious with the use of any herbal eye products on the eye.

Customer:

Thanks! OK - nice to get advise anyway. Won't try it then. Have you got any other idea as far as lowering eyeball pressure with natural remedies?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is a possibility of glaucoma, it would be better to consult an ophthalmologist for further tests such as fundus exam( dilated eye exam to look for the effect of the raised intraocular pressure on the optic nerve) and visual fields. Unfortunately there are no natural remedies known to reduce the IOP and it becomes mandatory to start anti-glaucoma medicines once the diagnosis is established.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any more questions to ask in this regard?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer:

Thanks a lot! No, no further questions.

Customer:

Best regards!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Have a good day. Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist