Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have been diagnosed with bilateral follicular conjunctivitis

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with bilateral follicular conjunctivitis by a consultant at my local hospital. my eyes, lips cheeks have red patches that are very dry. Is there treatment for this. I think this is related to conjunctivitis that I have had for the past 5 months.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

JACUSTOMER-1tlkdpxn- :

yes I am available to chat

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Follicular conjunctivitis is most often due to viral cause such as adenovirus or herpes simplex virus.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Most often it is self limiting and subsides by 1-2 weeks.

JACUSTOMER-1tlkdpxn- :

I have been diagnosed with herpes simplex bilateral follicular conjunctivits and now I have red eyelids, dry lips and red marks on my face.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Herpes simplex is known to cause follicular blepharo-conjunctivitis and skin lesions. Symptomatic treatment is in the form of cold compresses and lubricating eye drops.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However there can be a possibility of keratitis . Hence prophylactic use of anti-viral eye ointment such as Acyclovir canbe applied to the eye 5 times a day for 3 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you can start with the cold compresses and lubricating eye drops for the moment. You can consult your ophthalmologist again in case there is a corneal involvement ( with symptoms of corneal haziness or blurring of vision).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist