Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My husband woke up this morning and has a huge black eye with

My husband woke up this morning and has a huge black eye with a little swelling, when he went to bed he was fine. He did not get up in the night so we're sure he didn't walk into something. He did have cataract surgery in that eye three weeks ago. Could the surgery have something to do with this? The eye is now a little sensitive to light and is watering a little bit. Any ideas?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision in that eye now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am absolutely sure that the cataract surgery has nothing to do with a black eye. I do agree that it is a bit strange for a black eye to have occured without any head or eye injury.

Customer:

His vision seems to be OK but the watering is a little bit more

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But I would want to know if there is any pain/redness in that eye?

Customer:

The eye itself is not painful but the area around it especially near the nose is, there doesn't seem to be any redness IN the eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Spontaneous black eye can sometimes occur if a person is on blood thinning medicines such as aspirin.

Customer:

He does take a baby aspirin every day

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well in that it does explain the occurance of a spontaneous black eye in the absence of any injury or trauma. it is self healing and would not require any specific medication. But he needs to continue with the prescribed post-op eye medicines.

Customer:

Alright thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist