Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I developed a severe sinus infection about 5 days ago with

I developed a severe sinus infection about 5 days ago with laryngitis, nasal congestion, severe sinus pain in my left cheek and at the top of the bridge of my nose, and copious greenish phlegm. This morning I woke up with eye exudate from my left eye, although not severe enough to have "glued" my lashes shut. There is no evident redness in the eye although the eye feels a bit sore. I started taking Cefdinir capsules 300 mg last evening for 10 days BID. Will this resolve the suspected conjunctivitis or do I need eyedrops? Thank you!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

During an acute sinusitis, the eye too feels a bit sore and one might even experience deep seated eyeball pain.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is no redness, it is unlikely for you to have developed conjunctivitis.

Customer:

Why would I be having discharge from one eye? Will the Cefdinir address the issue?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though bacterial sinusitis and conjunctivitis can co-exist, it would manifest with redness, discharge and watering in case of bacterial conjunctivitis. Oral antibiotics do not have much effect on conjunctivitis and in case of a frank bacterial conjunctivitis additional eye drops would be needed. But it would be difficult to know if you do have bacterial conjunctivitis now only based on eye discharge ( with absence of redness , watering or matting of eyelashes by the discharge).

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you can continue with the present treatment of oral antibiotics for the sinusitis and look for symptoms to subside. In case the discharge continues in the eye and is associated with redness too, then you can consult an ophthalmologist for the start of antibiotic eye drops such as moxicillin eye drops.

Customer:

I appreciate your advice.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Moxifloxacin eye drops.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist