Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a lazy eye that goes outward. I was born crosseyed

Customer Question

I have a lazy eye that goes outward. I was born crosseyed and when I was 6 months old I had surgery to correct them. Ever since the surgery one of my eyes turns out. When I was a kid my parents made me wear a patch on my good eye and do exercises to strengthen the bad eye. Nothing has worked.  I am 30 years old now and my lazy eye has only gotten worse over the years. The vision is worse and it turns outward more frequently (almost constant). Is there anything else I can do at this point? Is there a corrective surgery I can get at this age, and if so, will it help my vision or just be cosmetic? Is it too risky that the eye will again turn inward if they pull the muscle too far? What is the surgery called? How much does it generally cost? Can you refer me to anyone in Tampa, FL? Any other info you can offer about my options would be great.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Let me address your questions in order:

Dr. Rick :

1. Yes. you can have surgery (again) to try and straighten your eye out. Depending on your level of vision in your "bad" eye, it may work or it may not. The best person to consult for an opinion on this topic is a pediatric ophthalmologist. Just remember, as an adult, you will not be allowed to play with all the neat toys in the waiting room :o)

Dr. Rick :

2. It will just be cosmetic. Nothing can be done to reverse your amblyopia at this point.

Dr. Rick :

3. All surgery has risks but there is a larger risk that your eye may not turn back toward normal enough rather then too much. Strabismus surgeons tend to err on the side of not moving the muscle enough rather then too much so that they can "fine tune it" later. There is even a procedure where adjustable sutures are used which then are manipulated in the office after surgery.

Dr. Rick :

4. Strabismus surgery is the name....

Dr. Rick :

5. Costs very but range in the few thousand dollar range. It is necessary for you to usually be under general anesthesia, which is a separate cost. Your insurance may or may not cover this surgery.

Dr. Rick :

5. There are tons of places in Tampa. As I am in Wisconsin, I don't know the area well but you can ask your doctor, friends etc and I am sure you can find a good strabismus surgeon. If you want to travel to Miami, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is one of the premier ophthalmology centers in the USA.

Dr. Rick :

Whew! That's a lot of information for $20 lol!

Dr. Rick :

I wish you the best. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and give positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are any other issues you would like me to address.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks... Accepted both because your answer was so long. :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure....and thank you :-)