Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am a 63 year old female in very good general health. Friday

I am a 63 year old female in very good general health. Friday night I attended dancing 7.3 to 11pm at local club. No alcahol or medications.In bed about midnight with ear ache, painful headache and emotional upset regarding matters of the heart ( love related) Upset and crying. about 2.30 am severe migrain pain followed by feeling of face popping. Feeling of blister below left eye ( eyelid) Turned on light to find a fast blackening eye. - - Attended A and E Whakatane hospital at 3am. CT scan and blood pressure and temp taken. No Blood test. - - -. Scan clear. Given pain killer and cold compress. Obvious that staff suspected physical trauma or knock or punch but no such thing happened. Sent home. Blue black zone has continued to enlarge with ear pain and feeling of sinus connection. - - Eyes remain clear in pupil and whites. - - hot and cold trembles throughout day. My partner is equally concerned that this problem with ear pain and sinuses could be something serious.Aletta Smyth
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Are you taking any of the following: Warfarin, aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn, garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba or vitamin E?
Customer:

No

Doctor DanB : Amongst all the crying did your rub your eyes at all?
Customer:

Light drying with clean tissues

Doctor DanB : So you have had sinus and inner congestion and pain for 3 years?
Customer:

Yes - - on and off - - not continuous

Doctor DanB : I don't think the sinus/ear pain issues have caused this black and blue bruising to happen. I think this is just related to the extra pressure transmitted to the head and eye related to your emotional experience earlier. It is quite a common thing for repeated pressure (sobbing) to cause bruising. The fact that the CT scan is normal rules out any significant bleeding or mass associated with the eye it connected to the ears or sinuses, though. So that should provide you with some relief.
Doctor DanB : Does that make sense?
Customer:

Thank you. - - Can I email or send a cell phone photograph of the eye and would this be of help ??

Doctor DanB : You can attach a photo of the eye to your next reply, but I have a pretty good idea of what's happening though. If it would make you feel better though I'm happy to look at it.
Customer:

Ok, We will hold off the picture at the moment. What you say makes sense as I was aware of tension pressure in my head region during the upset period. - - The blue black zone has nearly doubled in size over last 11 hours. I feel tender and pulsing at times at the outside corner of this eye.

Customer:

What must I do to protect from more damage throughout tonight and Sunday.??

Doctor DanB : I think that's just related to the increase in bruising. I would recommend using cool compresses liberally to help stop the bruising.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Thank you for your help. - - No questions. Will attend my GP on Monday. Aletta

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

Thank you. Aletta

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology