Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi Ive been diagnosed with a retinal tear and vitreous hemmorhage.

Hi Ive been diagnosed with a retinal tear and vitreous hemmorhage. I had lasek surgery to repair the torn retina 2/18/12. I had floaters in my eye from the blood that were tolerable and I returned to work 10 days after surgery. I work outside as a mail carrier and do quite a bit of walking. Half way through my route about 1PM It started to bleed again as I could see my eye fill with more floaters. As a result, my right eye vision was completely blocked with a grayish cloud. The doctor says I have more blood from the vessel. My question is how come he didnt cauterize it. Do you think he should have. What is to stop it from bleeding again. how long will it take for the blood vessel to heal on its own?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : Apologize. Having some technical difficulties.
Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately, when these hemorrhages happen in the vitreous, the blood vessels can't be cauterized--it is too dangerous (can cause much further bleeding) and also can damage the retina. The only thing that can be done is to seal the retina down if the retina is lifting up.

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately, there is nothing to stop it from bleeding again. If you don't have diabetic retinopathy, then these bleeding events are uncommon and not really expected, but once an initial hemorrhage occurs, I counsel my patients to reduce their activity, not strain themselves (lifting heavy things, putting their head below their waist, rubbing the eyes, sneezing/coughing, etc) as that can induce more bleeding. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns about this topic?

Doctor DanB :

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

so cauterizing wont stop it.

Customer:

sorry for the last question didnt see your other responce. another question, how long before this cloud goes away in front of my eye. because i cant see anything with it like this.

Doctor DanB :

No problem. Had to step away from the desk for a minute--let me read your response.

Customer:

do you think that it will go away eventually. in your experience do they go away, with some taking longer than others. so you think a vetrectomy should be put off as long as possible

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately the time until this cloud resolves is quite variable from person to person, just because everyone's vitreous has different densities, the amount of blood and where the blood is in relation to the center of your retina is different from someone else's. Hopefully, by sleeping with your head elevated, not taking blood thinners (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc., unless medically indicated) and not straining yourself, maybe in 1-2 weeks it gets significantly better. In my experience they usually go away on their own, but if in 6-8 weeks it is not significantly better, then yes, vitrectomy will be more likely to be needed.

Customer:

how about drinking a beer or 2. will that hurt anyting

Doctor DanB :

No, I can't see how that will hurt, as long as that doesn't lead to vomiting :)

Customer:

so in your opinion, sleeping upright and keeping my head above waist is the most important, right.

Doctor DanB :

That and avoiding straining yourself; avoiding blood thinners is also important to lower the risk of re-bleeding, but if you're put on aspirin by your doctor for prevention of heart attacks and strokes, for example, I wouldn't stop that.

Customer:

no, i only take ibuprofin for a headache. what about returning to work. do you think its advisable not to deliver mail walking. I walk and carry a sachel with about 10 lbs sometimes. the walking is about 3 hours.

Customer:

this of course is assuming that my right eye clears up where i can see better.

Doctor DanB :

I think both are probably fine, as long as whatever you're doing isn't straining yourself. That's the best gauge--if whatever activity you're doing is enough to strain like yourself (in other words, if you're having to humph-it to do something, it's probably not adviseable). But in most circumstances, I can't see how those two activities would be straining. But in the end, whatever your doctor recommends for you is the best because I don't have the advantage of examining you so I don't know everything about your case.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns about this topic? .

Doctor DanB :

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology