Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My son is 12 years old. He had a yellowish tone stain on the

My son is 12 years old. He had a yellowish tone stain on the white of his right eye for at least 5-6 years and possibly longer. It is of yellow tone, not brown. The opthamologist indicated that the stain is a mole (conjunctival nevus). Last Septmeber (2001), the opthamologist has indicated that it has gown slightly , about 0.5mm. The mole was about the same color, with no changes. The doctor indicated no need for removal and that we should see him again in a year. It has been six months since we last saw hi. The mole is about the same color, light yellowish. There may be a 0.5 mm growth in size, all symmetrical.
So my questions are:
1. What are the chances of it being malignant? Do I need to be concerned about the latest possible 0.5 mm growth?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Thanks for the information. Your concern is a good one. The malignant transformation rate of conjunctival nevi into melanomas is quite low. It sounds as though you are receiving excellent follow-up for this. The good news is that it is quite common for these to grow somewhat and change somewhat during puberty as your son is likely nearing, if not in. To that end, I wouldn't worry too much, especially in light of your excellent follow-up. If there are malignant appearing features to this that arise, it sounds like your doctor would be on top of it in plenty of time. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.

If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

OK. Please note that the letest 0.5 mm in change was my observation. We saw his doctor 6 months ago. I an assuming it is normal for the mole to grow slighlty and it is safe to wait another siz months to see our doctor again. Thanks and I will accept

Customer:

Are you there?

Doctor DanB : Yes I'm here. Having technical difficulties and just got your answer.
Customer:

Ok

Doctor DanB : Yes, this kind of growth is normal and I think 6 months is a safe amount of time to wait between rechecks.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology