Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Is the light from IPL treatments dangerous to the eye? Even

Is the light from IPL treatments dangerous to the eye? Even though the nurse had placed some kind of small goggles over my eyes, I still saw an uncomfortably bright light with each zap of the machine.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes, I am now here. This is my first time using this service!

Doctor DanB :

Then welcome to JustAnswer. I know the bright light you saw can be quite disconcerting, but the goggles they placed on your eyes are specially coated to filter out the harmful wavelengths of light that enter into your eyes and are therefore able to keep your eyes safe. It is what they are designed for and are usually quite reliable at preventing any eye damage. I wouldn't be concerned about this for that reason. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Thank you for your response Doctor. I must say that I still feel skeptical since it is such an uncomfortable feeling amount of light that comes through -- it feels worse than the painful zaps on my skin. There's something about that light that is creepy -- when I went on-line to do some research I found some sites suggesting the patient wears a metal (?) contact over their corneas to protect their irises from frying from the heat! What do you think about that?

Doctor DanB :

I think that's a bit extreme, actually. I know you must be fairly freaked out about it, but as an ophthalmologist, I actually use lasers like this everyday on my patients and I also have bystanders in the room who have had exposure to intense laser lights like these and when they're wearing the prescribed eye protection, I've never seen anyone have a problem. Of course, if it puts you more at ease, you can always see an ophthalmologist for an exam to make sure there is no laser damage to the retina, but I would be quite shocked if you were told anything other than that the retina looks fine.

Customer:

Okay, thank you.