Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

have had Dipliopa 2 wks. Opthamologist said blood vessel broke;

have had Dipliopa 2 wks. Opthamologist said blood vessel broke; set 1 mo. appt. Can see with one eye at a time not deouble. Use patch he gave me to drive. VI cranial nerve. What would rt. eye surgery entail?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. Thankfully, most people who have cranial nerve VI palsies with resultant double vision do see an improvement and usually a resolution in their symptoms over 3-6 months time and don't end up needing surgery for this. However, if you do need surgery, it is usually done under general anesthesia. The eyeball is not actually cut into, but the muscles that move the eye are detached from the surface of the eye and re-attached at a different location on the eye to effectively straighten the eyes. Most people tolerate this surgery very well and it is usually very successful in getting someone to have no dioplopia in straight ahead gaze and down gaze (where we read). Your activity level is also not significantly altered after this surgery.

Does all this make sense? Do you have any further questions about this?

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.