Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is the Tecnis ZMB00 the best choice for a multi focal IOL for

Customer Question

Is the Tecnis ZMB00 the best choice for a multi focal IOL for a slight astigmatism dominant eye that has previously undergone Lasik? I am developing cataracts and have already had the worse eye done with the mono focal Alcon (no blue blocker) IOL, and am experiencing uncorrected astigmatism close up, not great intermediate visual acuity at mid and far distance(though greatly improved) and am concerned that the corrective eyeglass lens I will need if I use the same IOL lens will not give a great result, considering all three "zones" need some correcting in the eye that has been done. That is a lot to ask from a pair of glasses. I also don't notice any improvement in night vision or depth of field or contrast improvement in the fixed eye. I also can feel some poking at the edges of the capsular bag where the haptics are I presume, when I look up or at a certain angle. I am very concerned that this dominant eye be corrected to the best possible level, as I am a visual artist and this is important for my observing abilities. Also how does this lens work? Do you get the rings that the Re Stor recipients talk about?
Any help would be appreciated. I would even consider waiting for awhile if something better is arriving within the year, as this eye is not as bad as the first. I could get a prescription that will even out my current vision to make it livable. I enjoy the close up vision that I get with the cataract, but know that will not remain the same. I would love to have a presbiopia correcting lens if at doesn't have other disadvantages.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No one has contacted me.

I am more interested in receiving answers from an experienced opthamologist, not just an optometrist.
I have NOT tried ReStor lenses. What I have in my right eye is an Alcon mono focal clear lens, not an accommodating lens.

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you-
I am not in a rush to talk tonight, but will check my messages in case someone has contacted me with questions.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am an ophthalmologist.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me answer the various components of your question out of the order presented.

First of all, there is nothing "new and exciting" coming down the pike such that delaying your surgery for a year will make any difference. That being said, delaying your cataract removal will not harm your eye, or your final visual outcome in the least. There is no rush to have cataract surgery as long as you can see to do the things you want to do.

There is no "best choice" when it comes to multifocal intracular lenses. They all work well and they all have their positives and negatives. Your surgeon can help you select the "right" lens for you based on your optical needs and your eye exam. The Technis is a very good lens but, like everything in life, in order to get something (near, midrange and far clear vision) you have to give up something (loss of contrast sensitivity, slight reduction in visual clarity due to diffraction, possible adjustment period, need for glasses to get the "crispest" vision etc". All the various types of multifocal lenses have some type of compromise to achieve their function.

Here is an excellent article on this topic:

http://www.mastereyeassociates.com/lens-implants---premium-iols/
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I can tell by your post and your work as a visual artist that you need the sharpest, clearest vision possible. The best chance for this type of vision is to combine a monofocal intraocular lens, such as Acrysof lens.

Here is a very good article on this type of lens:

http://www.aboutcataractsurgery.com/monofocal-lens-implants.html

You will, of course require you to wear glasses for near and midrange visual tasks but can provide the crispest, clearest vision available.

When it is all said and done the choice of which type of lens it have implanted during your cataract surgery comes down to personal choice directed by research (which you are doing a very good job of accomplishing :), and advice from your surgeon.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.