Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My sons wife is very worried. Three days after returning from

Customer Question

My son's wife is very worried. Three days after returning from a very long trip, she found our son passed out on the sofa in the middle of the night with his eyes open. She was so frightened and hard a hard time awakening him. He worked that day and started drinking that evening. Our son,34,has always been very healthy. He is quite intellligent and has a demanding, stressful job. The only medication he takes is adderoll to help him focus. His wife said his drinking has been increasing the past year. He drinks only after work. What do you advise us to do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

I would advise you to encourage his wife to have a loving, heartfelt talk with her husband about his increased drinking. If I were him, I would hope that her concern that she expresses about her husband mixing increased drinking of alcohol with a stimulant such as Adderall being very dangerous would stir something inside of me to get some help. This doesn't sound like a healthy situation at all. But unfortunately, he's the only one that can initiate that help. Does that address your concern or is there some other question or concern I can address?

JACUSTOMER-5gx6nv29- : Please advise what kind of help first. Also, is it unusual to have eyes open when passed out?
Doctor DanB :

I will admit it is unusual to have the eyes open when someone is passed out, but certainly not impossible. It's also possible that he may have had a seizure, accounting for his decreased awareness and state in which he was found. I would have him start with his primary care doctor who can assess the situation and see if he needs to be evaluated by a neurologist.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

Doctor DanB :

If not, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.