Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my daughter, 18, woke up this morning with one pupil largely

Customer Question

my daughter, 18, woke up this morning with one pupil largely dialated. Is this serious or an emergency.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For a pathological cause for dilated pupil in one eye only there should be other signs in the eye such as reduced vision ( as in optic neuritis), signs of blunt trauma

Customer :

yes iam

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Is the vision reduced in the affected eye?

Customer :

hang on

Customer :

she is not sure. maybe slightly but she wears glasses so i don't think they are even

Customer :

she is checking with her glasses on

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was there any injury or trauma to that eye ?

Customer :

no

Customer :

she does get migraines

Customer :

she says the vision is no different. the color is a little?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Color in the sense the color of the eye or color vision?

Customer :

color vision

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For dilated pupil and altered color vision, the most likely cause is either an optic neuritis( inflammation of the optic nerve) or migraine could be the cause for these symptoms.

Customer :

we do have a family history of aneurism. it this a possiblity.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For an aneurysm to cause a dilated pupil, it should be compressing on the pupillary fibres but at the same time the visual fibres also would get compressed thus resulting in reduced vision or part of the vision.

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would suggest her to get her eyes examined by an ophthalmologist for a detailed eye exam including a look at the optic nerve to rule out any optic neuritis or compressive cause. But considering the fact that her vision in that eye is not affected and is normal, it looks more so due to migraine( though not a typical sign of it).

Customer :

thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though not an emergency, it would do good the get her eyes examined at the available appointment. She would need to keep a close look at the vision in that eye in the meanwhile and report immediately to an ophthalmologist if altered.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I hope that addresses your concern. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you.

Customer :

all set. thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai : Thank you and best wishes.If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.