Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

ra - es

Customer Question

I have pain around my right eye - mostly at outside corner of my eye. It is sore to touch and hurts if I tightly close eyes. It is a bit red too. No crazy discharge or anything, but boy is it sore.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Is the eye sensitive to light? Any discharge? Do you wear contact lenses?
JACUSTOMER-8r32n4hw- :

No light sensitivity, no discharge, no lenses. But it is sore when I blink too.

Doctor DanB : Is it painful enough that it wakes you from sleep?
JACUSTOMER-8r32n4hw- :

Maybe, but I may just be waking and then realizing it is bothering me...not sure

Doctor DanB : There can be many reasons for an eye to be red like this. This can be from a viral conjunctivitis (usually follows an upper respiratory infection or exposure to someone with a cold or red eye) and can cause irritation, mattering, tearing, burning or sensitivity to light and these symptoms usually then spread to the other eye. Allergic conjunctivitis is usually distinguished by significant itching, but this can be associated with redness and irritation. This can also be due to a foreign-body, an intraocular inflammation (called iritis) which usually is accompanied by some eye pain and light-sensitivity. Lastly a problem called episcleritis can be responsible for making the eye red like this without any other symptoms, though episcleritis can be accompanied by mild pain and/or light-sensitivity as well. 
Doctor DanB : Usually episcleritis resolves on its own spontaneously. But in the meantime I would recommend using some artificial tears 3 to 4 times per day in that eye as well as using cool compresses liberally, and possibly ibuprofen if you prefer.  After a couple of days if this does not improve then I would recommend seeing your ophthalmologist to determine if this is caused by something else other than episcleritis which it sounds like most likely is. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense?  Do you have any other questions about this?It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.